• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Small fusion reactors???

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP

As cool as that would be, I don't get why they are going public with this... what do they hope to achieve? If it worked, great, surprise the world in just a few years. But if it doesn't, as countless other Fusion attempts that have gone before it- now you all look bad, raised hopes, and people get even more jaded about fusion than they were before.

I can't help but think this doesn't become a way to poison fusion for another generation of scientists and engineers.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
Lockheed Martin Compact Fusion Research Development - YouTube

As cool as that would be, I don't get why they are going public with this... what do they hope to achieve? If it worked, great, surprise the world in just a few years. But if it doesn't, as countless other Fusion attempts that have gone before it- now you all look bad, raised hopes, and people get even more jaded about fusion than they were before.

I can't help but think this doesn't become a way to poison fusion for another generation of scientists and engineers.
I get what you're saying, but they claim that they are at a point where they need partners, both financial and scientific/technical. This is the Skunk Works, just a relatively small branch of Lockheed. They don't have the kind of money or expertise that it will take to develop this to a commercial level. And I hope it's not just another flash in the pan, like the Cold Fusion stuff we heard about some years ago. That would suck.

neevo

Limey Hippo
and there we have it. They need investors and the 10 year timeline is one they think folk will fall for. If they were realistic then they would go for 20-30 years but for large power plants and the investors will dry up

neelandan

Owner of dot net
Finally, when they get it to work, the contraption is going to weigh 2E30 kg and be placed far from human habitation, around 15E7 km.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
If this is coming from the Skunk Works, then there is a very good chance they already have one operational. Now they need to shrink it, and release it to the world. By claiming that they don't yet have it, it keeps down the industrial espionage. Think about how hard China and NK would work to get that information if they knew we had an operational fusion reactor.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
If this is coming from the Skunk Works, then there is a very good chance they already have one operational. Now they need to shrink it, and release it to the world. By claiming that they don't yet have it, it keeps down the industrial espionage. Think about how hard China and NK would work to get that information if they knew we had an operational fusion reactor.

When did tony stark start working for skunkworks?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Should these things ever materialize it will, virtually overnight, turn the oil rich countries in the middle east into the same as the oil poor countries- that is- we won't really care what they do so long as they stay over there.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
Should these things ever materialize it will, virtually overnight, turn the oil rich countries in the middle east into the same as the oil poor countries- that is- we won't really care what they do so long as they stay over there.
Natural gas is about to knock them on their asses.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Natural gas is about to knock them on their asses.
Already is. Why do you think oil prices are dropping? OPEC is starting to screw each other and they aren't cooperating on supply and pricing. Our oil and natural gas production is the only reason our economy is starting to move.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
Already is. Why do you think oil prices are dropping? OPEC is starting to screw each other and they aren't cooperating on supply and pricing. Our oil and natural gas production is the only reason our economy is starting to move.
It hasn't even begun. There is a natural gas shit storm of epic proportions brewing. It is the alternative fuel everyone is looking for. The only reason it hasn't taken off yet is because the greenies refuse to accept it since it is part of the oil industry.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
It hasn't even begun. There is a natural gas shit storm of epic proportions brewing. It is the alternative fuel everyone is looking for. The only reason it hasn't taken off yet is because the greenies refuse to accept it since it is part of the oil industry.
Natural gas is nearly the perfect fuel. The only thing that could be more perfect is hydrogen, and the supply problem kicks that out of contention. IF there is enough natural gas, and I'm not sure there is even with new discoveries, we are golden.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
Natural gas is nearly the perfect fuel. The only thing that could be more perfect is hydrogen, and the supply problem kicks that out of contention. IF there is enough natural gas, and I'm not sure there is even with new discoveries, we are golden.
There is so much natural gas coming out of the ground right now, it cannot be processed by existing pipelines and refineries. It burns 24/7. The US will be exporting it within the next few years if the liberal fawks would get the fawk over the fact that their alternative fuel answer goes hand in hand with oil. Once the pipelines and ships are built and the refineries retrofitted we'll be rocking and rolling.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
What about the environmental problems from fracking? I wouldn't want to live near where they frack.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Can you be more specific?
Ground water being so contaminated it becomes flammable?

The fact that chemicals being pumped into the ground aren't made public because they are "trade secrets." If you pump something into the land it should be public record what you are pumping down there- we should know by now nothing stays buried. We're going to end up dealing with this shit in 50 or a 100 years just like we clean rivers now we used to allow industry to pollute.