• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Smittybilt

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Bumper for XJunk...

Good, bad, or complete total shit?

Looks nicer than most of the other options that seem to have been built in bubba's garage.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Smittybuilt's quality has improved over the years. Nothing wrong with them.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
What about rough country? It came down to smittybilt and rough country when I was looking at bumpers. I think they were similarly priced with the stuff I wanted. I ended up with the rough country. I think it was made with thicker steel.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Guy I work with has a full complement of Smittybilt bolt-ons on his JKU Rubicon. Haven't heard him gripe about the powder coat coming off or anything yet.

John

Transplant
VIP
I would need to see it installed, but that probably would look terrible on an XJ. The XJ is way too square for that to look right and it's pretty agressive for a stock Jeep.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
It didn't look horrible from the pictures I saw of it elsewhere. Reasonably decent. One thing it doesn't do is let the areas covered by the bumper end caps exposed. Many of the bumpers on the market don't cover the space. Looks unfinished to me.

I'd prefer the ARB bumper but that's almost double the cost.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I really could use the winch on that thing right now. It's going to wait regardless of what I decide to buy however.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
Here's rough country's xj bumper. In other pictures it looks like it leaves the fender flares unprotected in the front though.

The d rings and winch hoop are optional.

$70 less than smittybilts. I am very satisfied with my rough country bumper. It's very stout.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Here's rough country's xj bumper. In other pictures it looks like it leaves the fender flares unprotected in the front though.

The d rings and winch hoop are optional.

$70 less than smittybilts. I am very satisfied with my rough country bumper. It's very stout.
I believe that it does let the flairs unprotected as well as just looking unfinished. Probably was designed with the earlier XJ in mind and not updated to match the later XJ.