• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

The war on God...

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
God =/= Religion.

I don't practice the RC Catholic religion but I do believe there is someone more to existence than just a single human lifespan on this random planet, in a random galaxy, in an ever-expanding universe. I believe there is something I might consider "God" but not the God of the Bible per say.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
God =/= Religion.

I don't practice the RC Catholic religion but I do believe there is someone more to existence than just a single human lifespan on this random planet, in a random galaxy, in an ever-expanding universe. I believe there is something I might consider "God" but not the God of the Bible per say.
And I have no objection to that, either, even though I don't share exactly. Considering that science is now proving what I suspected all along, that planets around stars is the normal state of things, then it's only logical to also assume that life is not all that rare in the universe.

So, who knows? Maybe the purpose of the universe is to provide a place for life to flourish. Although why that would be, again no clue.

Jerk!

like Einstein but dumber
VIP
God =/= Religion.

Why? Because you just think you're too important to cease to exist? is this just for humans or do cockroaches get an "afterlife" too?

God =/= Religion.

I have more respect for this line of thinking than bible thumpers. I don't agree, but I respect your beliefs.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Why? Because you just think you're too important to cease to exist? is this just for humans or do cockroaches get an "afterlife" too?
Because I've seen/experienced things science cannot explain. :shrug: Not every ghost story is headlights or swamp gas. Not every psychic is a scam artist.

How do you explain the results the CIA had with remote viewing?

CIA-Initiated RV Program at SRI

Again I say, lack of understanding or current scientific explanation is not evidence of god. 1,000 years ago a jet flying overhead would be undeniable proof of a god complete with eye witnesses.

Jerk!

like Einstein but dumber
VIP
Because I've seen/experienced things science cannot explain. :shrug: Not every ghost story is headlights or swamp gas. Not every psychic is a scam artist.

How do you explain the results the CIA had with remote viewing?

CIA-Initiated RV Program at SRI
what does this link have to do with an afterlife, and how do i even know this is a legit link? and when you say science cannot explain, you mean science cannot explain yet. People used to think the sun was "god", those people are dead (not in christian heaven mind you) and we know the sun is not a large fusion reactor.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Again I say, lack of understanding or current scientific explanation is not evidence of god. 1,000 years ago a jet flying overhead would be undeniable proof of a god complete with eye witnesses.
If there is a "scientific" explanation for remote viewing and psychic phenomenon that's great, but it would show our current understanding of science is so limited a "God" could well exist and one day be proven by science.

If there is a "scientific" explanation for remote viewing and psychic phenomenon that's great, but it would show our current understanding of science is so limited a "God" could well exist and one day be proven by science.
Sometimes I wonder if part of your logic never woke up from the long nap. Let me try yet again, this time with a few caps.

NO! LACK OF UNDERSTANDING OF SOMETHING IS IN NO WAY EVIDENCE OF, SUGGESTIVE TO, OPENS THE DOOR FOR, OR IN ANY OTHER POSSIBLE WAY IMPLIES THE EXISTENCE OF AN ALL POWERFUL UNIVERSE CREATING BEING. FINDING A SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION FOR REMOTE VIEWING WOULD HAVE ZERO TO DO WITH GOD AND WOULDN'T SHOW A THING.

This doesn't mean there isn't a god, just that you look the fool when you try to use "we don't know why things in the universe work the way they do" as evidence. I'm am just as certain there is no god as you are that there is. I'm fine with that. However, NEITHER view can be proved or disproved, neither side can use scientific understanding or lack thereof as evidence or indication of correctness. The only thing science can do in this regard is take something that was once thought to be controlled by a deity and give a scientific explanation for it.

Just for the record, I'm pretty skeptical about the whole remote viewing thing. Forgive me for not trusting something on a website called biomindsuperpowers.com and not bothering to google it.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Just for the record, I'm pretty skeptical about the whole remote viewing thing. Forgive me for not trusting something on a website called biomindsuperpowers.com and not bothering to google it.
Well if you do choose to Google it you'll see it was legit.

Here is a more reliable source...

Cornholio01

I am sad for those of you who do not celebrate God and Jesus
That's crap. You feel fortunate because you think you'll live forever, others won't, & you enjoy the perceived advantage.

That enjoyment then rises exponentially when herded to gather closely w/ other sheep. Could be a football game, concert, or in your case worship. All are the same benefit.

I am sad for those of you who do not celebrate God and Jesus
Don't feel sad for me. I feel sad for people that don't do what they would otherwise want to do, or do things they wouldn't want to do, in the name of religion. This is doubly true when they negatively affect others. A terrorist blowing up themselves and others is an easy example, but protesting at a military funeral or marrying/not marrying someone or not using birth control or even not drinking a beer are others.

If you enjoy the whole god and Jesus thing, great. Just don't force your ideals or project your religious sentiment on me.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
God =/= Religion.

Deism?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
i dont know how smart people believe in jesus. i really don't.
Smart people might see the good being done in his name, locally, and realize it doesn't matter whether he is real or not- what has been inspired is good and it is in the community's interest to foster that.

Some with the Mormons.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
Smart people might see the good being done in his name, locally, and realize it doesn't matter whether he is real or not- what has been inspired is good and it is in the community's interest to foster that.

Some with the Mormons.
But - That's not really the same as believing in Jesus, is it?