• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Where did the black people/watermelon stereotype come from?

Fawk that... there is no way anyone who lives in America, with a cushy office job, who buys their food, and has chairs and couches and homes with roofs, gets to call TRIBESMEN in a 3rd world sh1thole who have to hunt and build "homes" with their bare hands "Lazy" even if said person occasionaly digs holes.

BirdOPrey5 said:
That's bullsh!t... the book I'm reading on Churchill, one of his commanding officers described Churchill as "he works like a ni****" and meant it as a complement.

Calling slaves lazy???
Not really...just stating the truth.

Fried chicken and watermelon has always been the subject of ridicule, since these foods have been negatively stereotyped as the typical foods of choice for Blacks. Black folks do possess an insatiable craving for fried chicken and watermelon. This craving was created beacuse it has been passed down generation after generation after generation.

During the centuries of slavery, White people allowed Blacks to raise chickens as livestock because it was inexpensive, and chickens were highly plentiful. Watermelons were also inexpensive and often yielded abundantly. Just one of these sweet and succulent melons could feed the entire family. So you see, the acquired taste for these foods are inherent! Hence the term "Soul Food"!

Still up to this day (as if you already didn''t know), Black people cherish a good fried chicken (yard buzzard) dinner! Depending on where you''re from, of course, a typical fried chicken dinner consists of: fried chicken seasoned to perfection (and I mean plenty of it), mashed potatoes with gravy, potato salad, collards, string beans, and hot, buttery homemade biscuits served with iced tea or lemonade. Now that, my friends, is good eatin'! During those hot, hazy, and lazy summer days, a chunk of cold, sweet, and juicy watermelon goes down especially well with a fried chicken dinner!

Don''t be fooled. White people savor a delicious fried chicken dinner too! We really savor going to a restaurant to smack our lips on a Soul Food fried chicken dinner that was specially cooked and catered by Black folks! Now, ain''t that the pot callin'' the kettle black!

BirdOPrey5 said:
Doesn't everyone like watermelons?
:puzzled:

Even I eat them.

Edit - and who doesn't like fried chicken? I mean some people have health reasons for not eating it, but pretty much everyone would love it if they didn't care about cholestreol and whatnot.
I'm WT deep down so these are great summertime food :agree:

Stu Pidasso said:
Not really...just stating the truth.

Fried chicken and watermelon has always been the subject of ridicule, since these foods have been negatively stereotyped as the typical foods of choice for Blacks. Black folks do possess an insatiable craving for fried chicken and watermelon. This craving was created beacuse it has been passed down generation after generation after generation.

During the centuries of slavery, White people allowed Blacks to raise chickens as livestock because it was inexpensive, and chickens were highly plentiful. Watermelons were also inexpensive and often yielded abundantly. Just one of these sweet and succulent melons could feed the entire family. So you see, the acquired taste for these foods are inherent! Hence the term "Soul Food"!

Still up to this day (as if you already didn''t know), Black people cherish a good fried chicken (yard buzzard) dinner! Depending on where you''re from, of course, a typical fried chicken dinner consists of: fried chicken seasoned to perfection (and I mean plenty of it), mashed potatoes with gravy, potato salad, collards, string beans, and hot, buttery homemade biscuits served with iced tea or lemonade. Now that, my friends, is good eatin'! During those hot, hazy, and lazy summer days, a chunk of cold, sweet, and juicy watermelon goes down especially well with a fried chicken dinner!

Don''t be fooled. White people savor a delicious fried chicken dinner too! We really savor going to a restaurant to smack our lips on a Soul Food fried chicken dinner that was specially cooked and catered by Black folks! Now, ain''t that the pot callin'' the kettle black!
also don't forget that raising chickens growing things like watermelon are fairly easy and do not require much maintenance. The slaves would've picked something like this since most of their time was spent tending to the palntation owners things.

On a side note, I was watching an episode of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, where a woman in Brighton had a resturant that sold "Soul Food". Most of the menu seemed like everyday American food, and not what would be considered soul food here

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
Had some good melon over the holiday. The table had some salt as expected, but they also had tajin. I don't really do salt on my watermelon so I tried the other and thought it was pretty good

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Had some good melon over the holiday. The table had some salt as expected, but they also had tajin. I don't really do salt on my watermelon so I tried the other and thought it was pretty good
Tajin is good on lots of things. Mango, pineapple, watermelon, berries...

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Some forgotten names in this thread

Sent from my PalmPilot

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
Forgot about me winning gold at a watermelon eating contest.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: JLS