• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

World's rustiest CJ7- Part 3

gcb

VIP
The YJ frame I got was tweaked, so I got rid of it and picked up a CJ7 frame. I outboarded the springs in front, and used Waggy springs. In the rear, I welded on a rear crossmember with a new shackle hanger and used Cherokee springs to stretch the wheelbase back a few inches. I believe it's about 100" right now. This weekend I swapped the drivetrain over from the rusty CJ to the bare frame. I can start running brake lines, fuel lines, and exhaust. I also need to figure out how to build the center crossmember.

And as it turns out, my engine is actually a 360, not a 304 like I was told. I'm happy with that change.

Last edited:

John

Transplant
VIP
Nice. My 3.8l has more power than the later 304s.

Sucks about the YJ frame, but that looks like a pretty solid CJ frame. Keep up the good work. :thup2:

gcb

VIP
I wish I had the time, money, and space to take on a cool WT project like that. :hoos:
I only have a about 2 weekends/month to work on it, along with some sporadic hours after work. The money thing isn't a huge issue- I shouldn't have too much in it when it's complete. I've actually taken over 2 bays of aa friend's 3 car garage to work on it. He's gone 3 or 4 weeks/month, so he doesn't really mind.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
And as it turns out, my engine is actually a 360, not a 304 like I was told. I'm happy with that change.
what year motor? has it been rebuilt?

the stock 360 in my '87 J20 made 175 HP and 285 ft/lbs torque when new. 22 years later...who knows.

gcb

VIP
what year motor? has it been rebuilt?

the stock 360 in my '87 J20 made 175 HP and 285 ft/lbs torque when new. 22 years later...who knows.
It's a reman that was put in about 5K miles ago. The CJ is a 79; I'm not sure what year the engine is. I'll be removing most of the smog crap, so that will free up a couple of HP.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
i'm going to pull the smog off the Waggy, may have to get one more E-check on the J20 so it'll have to stay another year.

tink

My Fawking leg hurts
VIP
I am green with envy over the nice smooth concrete floor. I am soooooooo tired of laying on rocks.:thup2: