• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Amazon Kindle

HDC

Fiercely mediocre
Wait a little bit. There's some really nice looking Android tablets on the way. Kindle app FTW.

The iPad is nice, but I'd wait for another hardware rev before I'd buy one. Especially given the price pressure the Android competition is going to create.

What about the Nook? The good thing about a Kindle is the e-ink, which is not good for browsing or any other real apps. Friend upgrading to a new Kindle and offered me his old one- may borrow it to try it out.

KJVBlueXJ

signaling the Mothership
VIP
Those two are different classes of Kindle. My understanding is that the new Kindle is not replacing the Kindle DX, but that they are two different models at different price points.

If you can wait - do it. Lots of tablet PCs hitting the market between now and Q1 2011. If you can't wait, at least buy something a bit more useful. Plenty of tablet PCs on the market, even some cheap ones like the Archos 7 (under $200), that can function as an eBook reader AND do lots of other stuff like play movies and browse the net.

KJVBlueXJ

signaling the Mothership
VIP
A tablet won't have the e-ink screen that a Kindle has. It's not important to some people, but for some it's the reason for having one.

Socrates Rules

Sage
VIP
A tablet won't have the e-ink screen that a Kindle has. It's not important to some people, but for some it's the reason for having one.
Especially older people who want to read a friggin book, but like the idea of having a library available without carrying it around.

What about the Nook? The good thing about a Kindle is the e-ink, which is not good for browsing or any other real apps. Friend upgrading to a new Kindle and offered me his old one- may borrow it to try it out.
Bought my friends Kindle 2 International for $90 including the case. I like it and it will be so much smaller for travel. I can download new books anywhere there is an ATT signal.

RhodeIslandRed

The man, myth and legend©
Rumor is the kindle will be $99 for the wifi by Christmas with the 3g being at $149. I am thinking seriously about getting one. The netbook is clumsy for reading.

off a cough

Say my name, bitch!
VIP
Rumor is the kindle will be $99 for the wifi by Christmas with the 3g being at $149. I am thinking seriously about getting one. The netbook is clumsy for reading.
I agree with this. The iPad is an awful eReader, and I'm expecting the Android versions will be, as well - why? Because of the screens, and because they aren't being built as eReaders.

The Kindle's screen and direct sunlight viewing is freaking awesome. Very easy on the eyes, and the only product out there that I really care for (although I haven't seen the Nook yet).

Tablets are replacements for netbooks. Kindles are replacements for books. Mixing the two = fail.

I agree with this. The iPad is an awful eReader, and I'm expecting the Android versions will be, as well - why? Because of the screens, and because they aren't being built as eReaders.

The Kindle's screen and direct sunlight viewing is freaking awesome. Very easy on the eyes, and the only product out there that I really care for (although I haven't seen the Nook yet).

Tablets are replacements for netbooks. Kindles are replacements for books. Mixing the two = fail.

wrong.

serfur1

bici italia
VIP
I love my wife's kindle. the e-ink is wonderful. I read in lower light at night for an hour usually and have no eye strain. I think an "ipad" type, lighted screen would really screw my eyes up. get the kindle for reading, get a tablet for other things. sometimes a "one size fits all" isn't the best.