• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Amazon shipping cheap and small items free for all customers...

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Don't need prime for free shipping of small, inexpensive items- but they won't come as fast as Prime members will get them.

Amazon Will Now Ship Smaller, Cheaper Items for Free

Rejoice, frequent DVD orderers! Amazon is eliminating the shipping fees of "small and light" items in an attempt to increase sales of cheap and tiny things that otherwise might have been saddled with shipping fees that cost as much as the product.

Previously, Amazon shipped items for free only if they hit the minimum $35 total for an order or if the buyer ponied up for its $95 per year Prime service. Now, anything that weighs less than 8 ounces and costs under $10 ships free.

The cost reduction is possible because Amazon is now shipping these smaller products from a new fulfillment center in Kentucky, which only packs small items so prices are kept down, reports the Wall Street Journal. Amazon hopes that this will give them a competitive edge against retailers like Walmart and Target.

Sadly, though, this doesn't mean the products will come any faster; it will still take them four to eight days to arrive.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Prime music has some good stations now. I was rocking '90s HipHop on the boat last weekend :bunnydance:

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
Instant gratification eats people alive. I have no problem waiting until I get over the $35 threshold to have some small stuff come with big stuff. And 4-8 days for shipping is perfectly fine with me.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Instant gratification eats people alive. I have no problem waiting until I get over the $35 threshold to have some small stuff come with big stuff. And 4-8 days for shipping is perfectly fine with me.
They're doing smart shit to get people to buy stuff they would normally go grab from WalMart or the like. Adding this to those efforts is basically like the $5 DVD bin or the stuff around you while you wait in the checkout line.

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
I was looking for Tobasco Chipotle sauce about a month ago. Was $2.40 on walmart.com, said it was not in my local store so I went to amazon. $7+$5ship/bottle turned me away and I forgot about it for a few days. Happened to be in local wally world the next week and found it on the shelf for $2.40. Picked some up and have been putting it on everything. The prices on some of the small stuff amazon sells is 3-4x the brick store price.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
You appear to be mistaken on the meaning of instant gratification if you think it applies to 2 day shipping times.