• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

anti virus?

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
I run Avast. Used to use Norton, but after 2005 it's like the AV version of Vista--kills performance.

neevo

Limey Hippo
Avira - free and the best at finding them. Only annoyance is the big ad when you get an update to teh virus database. Caught some stuck in some old proggies that i had stored on my drive never used since being given them. Workmate installed it on home machine that had been protected by SVGfree before and that too found some.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
All of the above (except Norton) a good free Anti Viruses... I've personally installed AVG (free, along with their spyway scanner) on relatives and friends computers...

For work and such then Symatec Corporate Edition all the way.

Frank Grimes

MarkR is obsessed with me
Ultra-Premium
I use mostly AVG. Avast sucked up resources when I ran it. At work and at client sites where I have a say-so I usually use Trend.

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
The Avast processes I'm aware of running right now are using 55MB RAM and no CPU time. Not insignificant, but compared to Norton a lot better. When it runs an update on a slower computer it can get a little hoggy until things settle down.

I've looked into Symantec Corporate but so far haven't been in a situation where someone wanted to buy a multi-license pack. What's it like to use?

HDC

Fiercely mediocre
I used to be a Norton fan but the bloat of their software turned me off on it. On my PCs I'm using Kaspersky now. Haven't used it in a big installation though so I can't attest to their enterprise friendliness. For home stuff, I'm happy with it.

Cayuse

Working to live
Currently looking at a new package for work, AVG is one of the contenders. Use the free version at home and it seems pretty good with minimal performance hits.

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
For work and such then Symatec Corporate Edition all the way.
It's not very good at protecting in my opinion. I've ran scans on systems that use it and I find trojans that it couldn't clean properly. Most of the time, it cannot delete infected files.

Surprised nobody said Eset NOD32.

At home, I use AVG (free edition). Uses low resources and fairly good protection.

At work, I use Kaspersky Antivirus on all my client machines. Includes a very strong anti-virus scanner (low resource) and a spam blocker.

It's not very good at protecting in my opinion. I've ran scans on systems that use it and I find trojans that it couldn't clean properly. Most of the time, it cannot delete infected files.

Surprised nobody said Eset NOD32.
I use NOD32 on my machines and have installed on quite a few friends and other machines I support (church). I haven't used the newest version, but like the older one for seemingly minimal bloat. Just installed AVG free on a lappy for a test around the house.