• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Anyone here use real TiVO? Use TiVO in place of a cable DVR?

John

Transplant
VIP
Wait, they came to pick up the boxes? Is that because you played the handicapped card?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Wait, they came to pick up the boxes? Is that because you played the handicapped card?
No, it's a service they offer, I was willing to pay the $40 they charged but they didn't charge me- likely because they screwed it up anyway.

I have played the handicap card in the past when they were going to charge me $10 to send out a new remote control when a normal person could just pick one up for free at TWC store which (at the time) was nowhere near anyplace I could get to.

Recently they opened a closer store which I could, in theory, get to with use of the LIRR, but I never would go that far.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Something I noticed different with the TiVo... On the Cable company DVR at least once a week I would generally be woken up by a weekly test of the Emergency Broadcast System which generates that extremely loud annoying tone designed to wake the dead. Then of course there were also monthly tests (which happened in addition to weekly ones) and random tests. However it was the weekly ones that would happen between 4 and 5 AM and were the most annoying.

I realize in the 5 or so weeks I've been using the TiVo I haven't heard that beep at all. I did notice a couple of times a text message comes across the screen during tests but that's it. No beep. I love it but I wonder if there would be a beep in a real emergency?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I have to give credit where credit is do to TiVo. A year or so after I bought my Roamio TiVo released a new model called the TiVo Bolt. It's two new main features were Quick Mode (which lets you watch a recorded show at 30% faster speed but the sound sounds normal, not like chipmunks.) The 2nd, and better feature is "Skip Mode" which is enabled for most common prime time programming. If you record such a show when playing it back you can press the D button on the remote control and you instantly skip the entire commercial break without having to FF through the commercials.

Well unlike most companies which would require you to upgrade to take advantage of these new features, TiVo brought them for free to the Roamio's and even an older model. Although the Bolt has a slightly faster processor there is no reason to upgrade even to enjoy the latest technology. :up:

Plus my Roamio has 6 tuners, the Bolt only has 4.