• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Anyone use a "Free home phone" VOIP device?

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I have unlimited both :shrug:
there are two people I talk to with some regularity, my lady and my mother. None of us likes initiating phone calls so most of the time we text. The lady and I frequently trade dozens of texts through a given day.

Ardvark

Go up to straight talk cell phone. 50 you get unlimited everything
go down to very basic local only home phone

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Like I said before. BASIC TALK. $10/mo. Keep your existing number. Unlimited long distance and local calls. $10/mo. Can't beat it. Buy it, install it, transfer number, cancel old service, enjoy.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Virgin Mobile $35/mo plan.
I have the same plan and they just moved me to unlimited talk. Never came close to using 300 minutes a month, hell I don't even think I use an hour a month. I hate being attached to that ****ing phone.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Like I said before. BASIC TALK. $10/mo. Keep your existing number. Unlimited long distance and local calls. $10/mo. Can't beat it. Buy it, install it, transfer number, cancel old service, enjoy.
Tha's $120/yr and yes it is beatable, almost every VOIP option is less.

I have the same plan and they just moved me to unlimited talk. Never came close to using 300 minutes a month, hell I don't even think I use an hour a month. I hate being attached to that ****ing phone.
Just got that email yesterday, still not interested though.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Tha's $120/yr and yes it is beatable, almost every VOIP option is less.
I just went through this crap 6 months ago. The other options we found were sketchy and some had fees that weren't included in the cost. Magic Jack sounded sketchy, but I'm intrigued reading Mark has good luck with it.

I went from cable TV, cable internet and cable phone to Direct TV, cable internet (only service worth a damn in my area) and basic talk. Saved $110/mo. I assume you're looking for meaningful savings. The only way I found it possible was to revise the three services.