• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Apple G4 v. Pentium 4... for my mother

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
:hubjeep:

My mother needs a new computer. Her ancient Pentium 2 laptop finally died yesterday. She uses this solely to surf the web, check her email and periodically print documents. The computer will need to have MS Word and a web browser on it... pretty much nothing else.

I can give her one of two computers:
- Dell P4 tower. 1.6/20GB/384MB. Don't know the rest of the specifics. XP Home.
- Apple G4 tower. 500mhz/60GB/384MB (I think). OS 10.3.9.

She's used to using a PC, but she could be willing to adapt to using a Mac. Which computer would be better for her in the long run? Which would be faster? More reliable? More stable?

I am not putting a penny into either computer.

Tankyewberrymuch. :hubjeep:

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
One of these computers has a future. The other does not (Mr. Anderson.) The PowerPC architecture has been dead for a couple years. Additionally, OSes before 10.4 also have spotty software support.

As much as a Mac guy as I am, the Dell will be a lot faster and more compatible. The Mac would have a lot less virus/spyware/freaky bug possibilities but I'd still take the faster machine.

Put more memory in whichever one you get--old RAM is nearly free. XP likes 512+.

I'd go with the P4 and load it with a Linux OS (ubuntu perhaps?). Most will run smoothly with your specs and have the tools necessary for the operation you stated (web surfing, OpenOffice Suite - MS compatible). Plus it's free.

I just recently rehabbed an old Dell Inspiron 600M laptop (1.4 Ghz Celeron, 60GB HD, 512MB RAM). It barely runs under WinXP but runs like new with Linux

I'd go with the P4 and load it with a Linux OS (ubuntu perhaps?). Most will run smoothly with your specs and have the tools necessary for the operation you stated (web surfing, OpenOffice Suite - MS compatible). Plus it's free.

I just recently rehabbed an old Dell Inspiron 600M laptop (1.4 Ghz Celeron, 60GB HD, 512MB RAM). It barely runs under WinXP but runs like new with Linux
I thought about suggesting that as well, but OpenOffice isn't exactly the same as MS Word and Firefox isn't the same as IE. Plus you never know when she is going to do something like buy TaxCut to do her taxes or something like that and not know why it won't work. Then again, Ubuntu (or at least Kubuntu) has pretty good wine integration and a lot of windows programs install and run just by clicking the .exe the same as they do on Windoze.

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
I am keeping it simple. I want her to be able to call me when she breaks it so I can diagnose it over the phone.

I wonder how much a small memory upgrade for the Dell would run...

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
You can get a gig of RAM for around $25 these days. Assuming the Dell has 256/128, replace the 128 with a 512 for under $15 for 768 total.

Depending on the year, it probably uses either PC133 or DDR PC2100.

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
I am keeping it simple. I want her to be able to call me when she breaks it so I can diagnose it over the phone.

If she's running high speed internet, you can use showmypc to see her desktop and fix the issues.....at least for windoze.

walt

If she's running high speed internet, you can use showmypc to see her desktop and fix the issues.....at least for windoze.
I was going to say that easy diagnosis would definately mean putting Linux on it. Just ssh in and fix it yourself. rdesk is alright too though but it's a hell of a lot slower.