• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

BACON!!!!

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Started day 1 of curing a nice piece of pork belly I found today while grabbing some fresh pork to make a big batch of green chile tomorrow.
5-7 days of curing, 1 day of drying, smoking, cooling, then cooking.
See ya here sometime next weeks with pics......unless I fawk it up.

Put a sticky on the fridge to remind me to flip it over every day.
If things work out ok, I'll be paying about $3.50 per pound, plus my time smoking, which is free.

John

Transplant
VIP
Nice! That’s cheaper than the Publix bacon I buy (really damn good btw) and I think it would be fun to try making it.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Hell yeah, I would like to do a ham once, I guess you actually pump the cure into a vein and distribute it arterially.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Day 5 of curing in the fridge......been flipping it every day.
Tomorrow is the rinse then dry on a rack for 24 hours.
Monday on the smoker and then a 12-24 hour rest....then cooking some up.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
About 4 hours on the smoker.
Cooked one small piece. Tastes great.
I'm going to play around with the flavor just a bit next time....maybe some hickory flavoring in the rub or some maple syrup.

bacon.jpg

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Very tasty, but I think a little too salty...but not much.
I will play with the recipe a little next time. For my first time, I think it's a winner.

Attachments

Bro. I made maple habenero blueberry glazed bacon this morning.

TOH said “it’s like an orgasm in my mouth”

so damn good

Stevey will NOT eat!

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Very tasty, but I think a little too salty...but not much.
I will play with the recipe a little next time. For my first time, I think it's a winner.
I know, the salt thing with any of this cured stuff is hard to figure out. The salt they say to use in most recipes always tastes like too much. Then I cut it a little and you don’t get the right cure. Must be the type of salt that I’m not getting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro