• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

BMX track advice

My nephew has a BMX-themed birthday party next weekend. For the party my BIL is building a BMX track. It won't be all that well designed or built - basically just a bunch of dirt hills pushed up by a redneck with a loader - but it'll resemble a BMX track. All the kids are supposed to bring their bikes. As such, I want to take a bike to play along. I've never really been on a track like that - should I take my mountain bike, or should I get my BMX-style bike (which isn't anything nice - just my Huffy from childhood) from my parents' house and get it ready to ride? I know I could ride the track on either one, but which is more fun?

I used to always want to try BMX racing, but I never got around to it and now I am way too out of shape. I still like to ride my bike on the trails around town though.

Mesoam [JU]

Archived
we used to ride MTB on the bmx track, its amazing how skill on the BMX track improves your off road ability...so much timing and carrying of speed

Oh trust me. I definitely have a good bike. A Haro TR 2.1 They don't make 'em anymore, but I love this bike, even if it is a bit small.

I have no problem going up, its coming straight back down is the problem. I always fear I will hit the lip with my front tire or I won't be able to do a 180 so I never tried it.

It's on. The SIGMA has returned from the '80s, hell-bent on humiliating a large group of seven year olds on a backwoods BMX track.

New tires, tubes, and brake pads, plus a little cable adjusting and lubing -- good to go. Those kids don't know what they're up against. I have the real bike in the truck just in case some portion of the SIGMA explodes on the first lap, but I think it'll be good. I did a few bunny hops to make sure the wheels wouldn't shatter (my dad still makes fun of me for putting custom wheels on my junk when I was 9 years old) and checked all the bearings and such to make sure nothing was hugely wrong. I didn't intend to replace the tires and tubes, but the bead ripped on the front tire causing the tube to pop (and me to eat **** and tear my shirt) so I had to.

It's pretty dumb, but I'm looking forward to getting to ride around the yard with the kids - it'll be a nice change from most of these parties where I hang out with the adults who do nothing but talk about the kids.

I bet the redneck doesn't compact the dirt. Then after multiple passes, something gives way and it swallows a kid and bike with tons of dirt burying them. The kid croaks and all of the other parents and kids are mortified. The kid's parents sue the sh*t out of you and the red neck heavy equipment operator. Other parents jump on board for punitive damages. Your life is ruined and the only way you see your family being well off is to :/self: for insurance money.

:pigfly:

Lose the kickstand. :naw:

Many children will cry themselves to sleep tonight, knowing they will never be capable of what they saw today.

Actually it was kind of lame - the kids (and my BIL) asked if it was a girl's bike. Little bastards. My lazy-ass BIL spent all week not making the "track" like he was supposed to, instead waiting until this morning to dump a few loads of dirt around the driveway. My plastic seat assploded some time during the truck ride up there, so I was left with a jagged plastic ass-stabbing device - no biggie, since I can't comfortably sit on the bike anyway. I rode with them for a while though and had a good time. Eventually the back wheel cracked. I can't find a visible crack, but it made a hellacious cracking sound as I landed a jump and the whole bike wiggled to one side and almost spit me off. So I spent the rest of the time riding the MTB - it turns out humps that are fun little jumps on a small bike are just bumps you roll right over on a MTB.

Regardless, it was a lot of fun. Much better than sitting on the porch with the grown-ups.