• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Calling IT geeks

Short Round

Oppan Gangnam Style
VIP
I have a sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1gb video card, and a SATA card installed. the MB has no onboard video, so I need the video card, but I'll unhook the SATA card which had my optical drive on it.

Now that I've gone back and checked the Win8 Pro is an upgrade, so I'll need to get Win7 working first. I think I'll start by going legacy BIOS and doing a fresh install of Win7 SP1 off of a thumb drive to my HDD, then upgrade, then move the OS over to the SSD. One thing at a time.
I bet that would cure it.

neevo

Limey Hippo
I have a sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1gb video card, and a SATA card installed. the MB has no onboard video, so I need the video card, but I'll unhook the SATA card which had my optical drive on it.

Now that I've gone back and checked the Win8 Pro is an upgrade, so I'll need to get Win7 working first. I think I'll start by going legacy BIOS and doing a fresh install of Win7 SP1 off of a thumb drive to my HDD, then upgrade, then move the OS over to the SSD. One thing at a time.
Install win8 in demo mode - ie you have 90 days to pay for it, then when you get in run the setup again from within windows and it will upgrade itself to the same version and your license key will work. Something that M$ did in Vista and have kept ever since :shrug:

serfur1

bici italia
VIP
Install win8 in demo mode - ie you have 90 day sot pay for it, then when you get in run the setup again from within windows and it will upgrade itself to the same version and your license key will work. Something that M$ did in Vista and have kept ever since :shrug:
good to know. It never got far enough to ask for a key. It would start the install process, then a dialog box would come up saying that there were media drivers that needed to be installed and I had to browse for them, I put in the disk that came with the MB, but could never get Win8 to use the drivers on the disk.

neevo

Limey Hippo
good to know. It never got far enough to ask for a key. It would start the install process, then a dialog box would come up saying that there were media drivers that needed to be installed and I had to browse for them, I put in the disk that came with the MB, but could never get Win8 to use the drivers on the disk.
It's obviously looking for something it doesnt recognise. It should see a Radeon OK so that's why I think disabling the sound, bluetooth etc etc and removing that SATA card will help. You should be able to connect your old SATA DVD to the onboard ports OK, they will run SATA1 OK and you could find that card slowing boot times down as it is checked out by the bios

neevo

Limey Hippo
How would it install from scratch if it's an upgrade disk? Doesn't it need to authenticate that you have a valid, older version of Windows before proceeding?
As I said earlier, you can upgrade it to itself! Just install it without a key first (ie demo mode) and then run the upgrade from within it, the upgrade key will then work

Justin

Damn.
VIP
Oh. So if I bought an upgrade disk, I should be ok?
I haven't purchased an upgrade disc since XP.

But, with the $40 upgrade promo when Win8 first came out, I downloaded the ISO, burned to disc, and installed fresh several times without a request for keys or discs from previous versions.

Justin

Damn.
VIP
As I said earlier, you can upgrade it to itself! Just install it without a key first (ie demo mode) and then run the upgrade from within it, the upgrade key will then work
Or just put the upgrade key in when first asked and save some time. :clapping:

mightytyke

Shoot, Move, Communicate!
VIP
If you are booting up, you might have to toggle F10 or F11 to get the drive to read it. Had a Samsung laptop that the HDD died. I swapped out the HDD and downloaded some Samsung boot software and to get it to read, I had to toggle F10 or F11.

serfur1

bici italia
VIP
Ok, so I removed the SATA II card and unplugged my card reader and can now install Win8 on the SSD. I put an image of Win7 on a thumb drive but couldn't figure out how to boot from a USB drive. I could of burned a DVD but I'm lazy and just figured a fresh install of Win8 on the new SSD would work. I'll worry about pointing the OS to the HDD for my program files and user data. Really, I don't even care about my windows profile, I just care about programs/pictures/videos.

I'll try adding in the card reader after I'm up a running, and I don't even need the SATA card since the MB has 6 slots. Thanks for fixing my computer!

P.S. It must not have been an upgrade version as it installed perfectly.

serfur1

bici italia
VIP
Good to go with Win8!

I installed it, and then upgraded it from within. It wouldn't take my key when I tried to activate it the first time, said I had an upgrade key.

neevo

Limey Hippo
Ok, so I removed the SATA II card and unplugged my card reader and can now install Win8 on the SSD. I put an image of Win7 on a thumb drive but couldn't figure out how to boot from a USB drive. I could of burned a DVD but I'm lazy and just figured a fresh install of Win8 on the new SSD would work. I'll worry about pointing the OS to the HDD for my program files and user data. Really, I don't even care about my windows profile, I just care about programs/pictures/videos.

I'll try adding in the card reader after I'm up a running, and I don't even need the SATA card since the MB has 6 slots. Thanks for fixing my computer!

P.S. It must not have been an upgrade version as it installed perfectly.
The old fat Brit got it right :thup2: