• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Chuck Roast

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I guess :wifey: didn’t pull a duck out of the freezer and I wound up with a chuck roast instead. I’m not sure I’ve eaten a chuck roast before today…

It turned out well.

Nice and tender. I used a mix of wood chips and a couple chunks of pecan wood. Tasty with the rub too. It smoked faster than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I guess :wifey: didn’t pull a duck out of the freezer and I wound up with a chuck roast instead. I’m not sure I’ve eaten a chuck roast before today…

It turned out well.

Nice and tender. I used a mix of wood chips and a couple chunks of pecan wood. Tasty with the rub too. It smoked faster than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’re not sure if you have ever had chuck roast? For real?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
That’s ‘mind boggling’. I grew up on chuck roasts, potatoes and carrots. At least once a week. It’s delicious.

Some of my favorite camping food. Go out all day 4-wheeling or hiking or some activity.. return to the RV smelling like heaven with dinner already made (crock pot).

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Tomorrow I was going to call my dad to confirm my claim above but he just called to talk football, mostly saying Brady should retire.

I asked him if we ate chuck roasts… He said damn near every beef roast I ate growing up was chuck. He did usually cook it in the oven or cubed for stew. He said chuck roasts and London broil were his go-to beef cuts because they were cheap.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Tomorrow I was going to call my dad to confirm my claim above but he just called to talk football, mostly saying Brady should retire.

I asked him if we ate chuck roasts… He said damn near every beef roast I ate growing up was chuck. He did usually cook it in the oven or cubed for stew. He said chuck roasts and London broil were his go-to beef cuts because they were cheap.
That top round is very good for ya too, nice and lean, digests nicely and packed full of vitamins, minerals and protein. Good stuff.

Ralph

VIP
Chuck done low and slow is excellent. I like doing it sous-vide around 135 degrees for 24-36 hours, then cooling off, and reheating on a grill or smoker.

Neil

Better than Matt
VIP
Not so much into the whole heating meat in a plastic bag in water to eat style of cooking.

:wifey: wants to try one like this next time.
If you do not like the idea of cooking meat in a plastic bag, by all means don't try it. Then again, anyone who does not try sous vide cooking is a fool!

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I’ve got some elk chuck roasts in the chest freezer. Going to try to do one Mississippi style sometime this week.
Last time I had elk chucks I have to say it’s some of the best I’ve tasted.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
If you do not like the idea of cooking meat in a plastic bag, by all means don't try it. Then again, anyone who does not try sous vide cooking is a fool!
The other trick is to vacuum seal red meat that has been cooked, lets say medium rare, freeze it. You can heat it up to 130 in a sous vide unit and it turns out like you just cooked it and won’t go beyond medium rare.

Ralph

VIP
The other trick is to vacuum seal red meat that has been cooked, lets say medium rare. You can heat it up to 130 in a sous vide unit and it turns out like you just cooked it and won’t go beyond medium rare.

You're usually better off using a combination of techniques with SV, because it is a moist cooking method. If you reheat something SV that was previously seared or had a crust on it, it will come out soggy.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
You're usually better off using a combination of techniques with SV, because it is a moist cooking method. If you reheat something SV that was previously seared or had a crust on it, it will come out soggy.
I have to disagree, maybe juicy but not like it’s water logged. It does an especially nice job on roasts, of course I’m not the least bit fussy so if it’s a little different I don’t mind as long as its not gross.