• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Cold Smoking?

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Bought these for making smoked cheese. Works good with pellets, a little tough to get lit but that may just have been the chilly weather here. Put this in any kind of grill with your cold smoked meat or cheese of your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

redshirt25

Overt Lurker
VIP
Back when I had an offset smoker I’d cold smoke in the winter by building a small fire in a coffee can and putting that in the fire box. This a nice little alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Joel was the king of cold smoking. Wish he was still around on here. We chatted on LinkedIn the other day, actually.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Joel was the king of cold smoking. Wish he was still around on here. We chatted on LinkedIn the other day, actually.
Yeah, if someone knows about it please see if you can get the info from him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

John

Transplant
VIP
That guy is such a pompous dick. One of the few people on here over the years that I truly did not care for and I’m glad he’s not around anymore.

D-Dog

A slob, fed by Jeffery
VIP
Bought these for making smoked cheese. Works good with pellets, a little tough to get lit but that may just have been the chilly weather here. Put this in any kind of grill with your cold smoked meat or cheese of your choice.

How did the smoke tube work? I have one but have not tried it yet. I got it for cheese as well.

Last edited:

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
How did the smoke tube work? I have one but have not tried it yeat. I got it for cheese as well.
I made a batch of cheeses and they turned out great. Just fill it with pellets, ignite and let it catch for about 20 minutes and then go.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I used mine for the first time a couple of nights ago.
I always did the soldering iron / steel can hack.....and it worked well. I have the same 2 tubes, and my first try with apple was ok.
I ended up using a bunch of small scraps from the very bottom of a bag of apple wood. Was easy to light (with a big azz brulee torch)
Wood chips seemed to burn up more quickly than I thought and I had them packed in pretty tight.
I have some pellets showing up in the next few days and will do another round.

I've never been able to keep my smoke tube burning. I hit it with the propane torch, let it burn for ten minutes or so. Everytime I've tried to use it it has burned out. someone suggested lighting it in the middle as well, but I just gave up on it.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
I've never been able to keep my smoke tube burning. I hit it with the propane torch, let it burn for ten minutes or so. Everytime I've tried to use it it has burned out. someone suggested lighting it in the middle as well, but I just gave up on it.
Aren’t you supposed to put it on top of a small pile of coals? Or would that not be cold smoking?

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I got mine lit but admittedly it took some real effort. Once it was lit it was good.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Did 2 chunks of cheddar and 1 of extra sharp Vermont cheddar that the wifey likes.
Used about 2/3-3/4 of a tube of cherry pellets. Next up will be the apple.
Pulled them after 2 1/2 hours. Now into the foodsaver bags for a few days before tasting.

Attachments