• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Decent Android tablet that isn't made my Samsung

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Get a six pack of the fire one. Nets Down to $41 per that way and you'll have plenty of spares.

Gotta wait for the holiday sales though

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Get a six pack of the fire one. Nets Down to $41 per that way and you'll have plenty of spares.

Gotta wait for the holiday sales though
That's neat to know. The wife and I still use our original Fire tablets - I put generic android on mine for a while (you can easily root it, make it pretend to be a nexus 7, then install whatever the hell you want) but ended up going back to the stock rom. It was fun and functional as a generic android tab, but I decided that since I really only used it for web surfing, facebook, a few games, and reading kindle books the original OS was perfect. Of particular use is the built-in sleep/hibernate functionality amazon put in place - if you sit a bare android tablet down and get sidetracked playing with the dog and forget about it, that sucker is dead the next evening when you try to turn it back on. With Amazon's built-in OS it goes into a deep sleep and still has damn near the same battery life the next day.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
f particular use is the built-in sleep/hibernate functionality amazon put in place - if you sit a bare android tablet down and get sidetracked playing with the dog and forget about it, that sucker is dead the next evening when you try to turn it back on. With Amazon's built-in OS it goes into a deep sleep and still has damn near the same battery life the next day.
Pretty sure my Nexus 7 does similar. Granted I don't use it hard constantly but i do go days without charging.

What version of Android were you on when you did that?

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Pretty sure my Nexus 7 does similar. Granted I don't use it hard constantly but i do go days without charging.

What version of Android were you on when you did that?
Some subversion of 4/KitKat IIRC. I could tell it to sleep or shut down manually, but if I just sat it down without doing anything it would just turn the screen off, go into mild sleep, and still kill the battery. Could have been a setting I just didn't **** with, who knows.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Some subversion of 4/KitKat IIRC. I could tell it to sleep or shut down manually, but if I just sat it down without doing anything it would just turn the screen off, go into mild sleep, and still kill the battery. Could have been a setting I just didn't **** with, who knows.
Maybe Lollipop would work in that case.

Tempting to get one anyway. Have to discuss it with her mom. :D

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Maybe Lollipop would work in that case.

Tempting to get one anyway. Have to discuss it with her mom. :D
That fire kids version is $99 and has a two year replacement warranty. It has preapprived age appropriate material, so she can lots of content for her age.