• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Doing a rib taste test today

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
2 racks of baby back ribs.

Both seasoned and smoked the same (rub is Salt Lick Garlic Rub and using Pecan for smoke).

Doing 1 rack on my Weber Smokey Mountain and the other on my Outdoor Gourmet Triton XL Pellet Grill.

Diane is convinced the pellet grill sucks (I'm getting close to admitting it myself) so she wanted me to do one on each.

I'm a little over 2 hours in, just wrapped them. But right now the WSM rack looks so much better.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP

WSM didn’t hold temp well, ended up around 300 too much.

Pellet grill wins this round.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Wrapped them? WTF. That is a crutch for a brisket that won't finish.

And what happens that your bullet won't hold temps? I can keep mine within like a 10 degree window.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP

And what happens that your bullet won't hold temps? I can keep mine within like a 10 degree window.
I don’t see any brisket, fool

Not sure why yesterday, it’s usually spot on. Maybe I used too much charcoal? I kept trying to adjust the vents without smothering it, too, but it didn’t help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Diane actually preferred the WSM ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP

Shit the dudes in the competitions all wrap their meats. I was a bit surprised too but I guess it's a thing.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I wrap my ribs in an inch or more of cabbage, then foil. I sauce and sear after they’re fall off the bone ready. Have had a very high success rate with the Stu method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I wrap my ribs in an inch or more of cabbage, then foil. I sauce and sear after they’re fall off the bone ready. Have had a very high success rate with the Stu method.

Yep....I do a modified "Stu's Ribs" when I fire up the Oklahoma Joe's. 3 hours of smoke, 1-2 hours of cabbage on the grill and then an hour or so back on the smoker to finish after removing the foil/cabbage. They are perfect. I typically don't sauce all the racks and let people choose their mild/medium/hot BBQ sauces to their taste.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Yep....I do a modified "Stu's Ribs" when I fire up the Oklahoma Joe's. 3 hours of smoke, 1-2 hours of cabbage on the grill and then an hour or so back on the smoker to finish after removing the foil/cabbage. They are perfect. I typically don't sauce all the racks and let people choose their mild/medium/hot BBQ sauces to their taste.
Is your OJS an offset? I’ve been told the offsets are the hardest to work. No clue other than that, so perhaps all BS. The only thing I’ve smoked meat in is a full hickory framed and sheathed shack that is in a tower/drum configuration. Heat and smoke directly below the meat. And yes, it caught on fire once.

Good call on the saucing. I’ve only prepared ribs a dozen or so times, so I’ve stuck with what worked. I wanted to try a dry rub on the next batch to see how they compare. My wife makes ribs on the stove and in the oven. They turn out very good as well, but I prefer my method because it’s done outside and not Betty Crocker I guess. Luhl.

D-Dog

A slob, fed by Jeffery
VIP
Ribs are not supposed to be "fall off the bone" they should need a little tug to get off the bone...

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Some people like them fall off the bone done. Probably the majority of people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I’m not talking about you pick it up and it falls apart. You bite it and it practically comes off the bone.

My MIL brines them too long in vinegar and cooks them in the oven. They fall apart when you touch them. Great for painting a shitter.

luv_jeeps

Mr. Martha
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Is your OJS an offset? I’ve been told the offsets are the hardest to work. No clue other than that, so perhaps all BS.
Yep. I've had really good results with it. I just picked up one of these: Amazon.com: Intelitopia Meat Thermometer for Grilling,Smart Wireless Bluetooth Digital Cooking Grill Meat Thermometer Instant Read with Six Upgraded Stainless Steel Probes for Grilling, Smoker, BBQ and Oven: Kitchen & Dining

Haven't tried it yet and have a few other instant read ones and my laser, but it got good reviews.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I’m not talking about you pick it up and it falls apart. You bite it and it practically comes off the bone.

My MIL brines them too long in vinegar and cooks them in the oven. They fall apart when you touch them. Great for painting a shitter.

You said fall off the bone, you said it! :backpedal: jjj

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro