• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Elk crown roast

D-Dog

A slob, fed by Jeffery
VIP
So a friend ordered an Elk crown roast that I am going to BBQ/smoke for 4th of July, never cooked Elk before.
Any of you with experience with it give any pointers?
I was going to treat it somewhat like beef, rub with olive oil then salt, pepper, garlic and?
I know it's lean and internal temp should be 125-130deg for med rare and not to overcook.
1.5 -2 hours low heat smoke or until 100 deg int temp then turn up the heat to 375 until 125 deg int temp is what I have read for Elk.
What say you?

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Be careful...everything that I have read about smoking wild game ends with "it is super easy to dry it out because it is so lean." Like, you don't want to render out what little fat that exists, so there are a lot of arguments of doing a faster, higher heat than typical smoke. Your plan goes along with what I have read and that is probably where I would start with my first one.

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
Be careful...everything that I have read about smoking wild game ends with "it is super easy to dry it out because it is so lean." Like, you don't want to render out what little fat that exists, so there are a lot of arguments of doing a faster, higher heat than typical smoke. Your plan goes along with what I have read and that is probably where I would start with my first one.
Agreed, but it can be done. My cousin did venison butterfly steaks on a smoker. Cooked them fast and they were very tender. No knife required.

D-Dog

A slob, fed by Jeffery
VIP
Not drying it out is my concern and read the coating of olive oil before the rub helps with that then the low heat smoke before bringing it up to proper int. temp.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP
Not drying it out is my concern and read the coating of olive oil before the rub helps with that then the low heat smoke before bringing it up to proper int. temp.
There is always the wrap-it-in-bacon method to help keep moisture in.

I think if ABQSteve ever gets an Elk then he needs to send some cuts out to all of us to practice with.