• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Forum now set to display under 1200 width?

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
All of the sudden, everything in JUOT is boxed into a ~1140 width box rather than filling the screen like it used to. What gives?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Per the earlier announcement you must go to the User CP -> Edit Options -> Style Width in Pixels (near the bottom) and set this to "0" if you want to bring back the wide (fluid) width.

The fixed size was a major part of the new style changes, it is now enabled by default so guests will see it with the intended layout.

Edit- the style remains "fluid" if your screen resolution or browser width is less than 1140 pixels.

Edit 2- The Forum Homepage (welcome page) is always a fixed 1200 pixel width for everything to fit properly.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Don't dismiss the fixed width immediately... every "study" out there says people prefer fixed width formats whether they think they do or not. It is easier to read and people polled have come way with a better overall experience.

I was skeptical at first but after forcing it on myself for a few days I realize it is true.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Nothing like having a wide screen and only using 60% of it. I prefer to see more than less. I cannot imagine how horrible 1140px would look on my new rMBP that should be delivered next month.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
If you gave it a chance you will see it is better to read things in narrow columns then across the screen. Why does every newspaper on earth use columns instead of going completely across the page?

There is science to back this up. :shrug:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Glocktalk went to similar format a while back. I gave it a chance, but didn't know there was the ability (may not be) to change it. I found that it annoyed me enough to basically stop using the site.

edit: Just looked, they don't offer the option. At any rate, I just don't like it and have stopped visiting GT as a result.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Well, that is why I gave users the option. :beerchug:

That said, the math supports the default option being fixed width.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Well, that is why I gave users the option. :beerchug:

That said, the math supports the default option being fixed width.
Small boxed fixed width makes things look more cluttered. Look at CNN & Fox News as an example. They use fixed width, probably for the same reason, but it's not as obvious due to the sides of the header expanding to fill the screen.

On sites I create, I prefer to set the width of the middle container to be 80% of the screen. That way, it doesn't look so small on a large monitor.

My employer's website was created 10 years ago and is fixed at 800x600 and looks stupid on today's monitors. Using a fixed % of the screen makes it scale better across platforms and different resolutions, IMO.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Small boxed fixed width makes things look more cluttered. Look at CNN & Fox News as an example. They use fixed width, probably for the same reason, but it's not as obvious due to the sides of the header expanding to fill the screen
Pretty much proving my case. I understand you have your opinion but do you do customer feedback survey's? Because they do. I'm sure their web designers have read what I have- you can argue your opinion but the fact the majority of the world likes fixed width better is indisputable.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Pretty much proving my case. I understand you have your opinion but do you do customer feedback survey's? Because they do. I'm sure their web designers have read what I have- you can argue your opinion but the fact the majority of the world likes fixed width better is indisputable.
I don't think you read my response.

Fixed width boxed layouts look cluttered. With cnn.com and foxnews.com, they're using fixed width layouts, but they're not in a box and they give the appearance of flowing to the side of the screen even though they really don't.

My opinion is that there is value to the fixed width style, but that the boxed fixed width style is unappealing.

edit: I also don't like 1140 as the default. I'd rather see a default of a set percentage of the page so that it scales more appropriately. When I get my new laptop with a 2880 resolution display, I'll take a picture and show you what I'm talking about. On 1680x1050, JUOT renders with something like 1830 pixels in width, making it 1140 look like a website designed for a 15" LCD from 10 years ago.

Last edited:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
You're saying you prefer the illusion created by CNN because their header colors extend the full width of the screen- but regardless of that the FACT is their site is completely fixed width- all content is fixed to 1000 pixels wide on CNN.

In either case the fixed width is the important part- having the red bars on top extend the full width of the screen adds nothing of concrete value, simply a styling choice.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You're saying you prefer the illusion created by CNN because their header colors extend the full width of the screen- but regardless of that the FACT is their site is completely fixed width- all content is fixed to 1000 pixels wide on CNN.
Correct. The combination of the header colors extending and the fact that the background is all the same color without being boxed into the center. It's the same reason people prefer a monitor with a screen with a smaller bezel to one with a larger bezel, even if the screen is the same size.

In either case the fixed width is the important part- having the red bars on top extend the full width of the screen adds nothing of concrete value, simply a styling choice.
Having an open looking layout that doesn't feel confined absolutely adds something of concrete value. It doesn't look as cluttered.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
edit: I also don't like 1140 as the default. I'd rather see a default of a set percentage of the page so that it scales more appropriately. When I get my new laptop with a 2880 resolution display, I'll take a picture and show you what I'm talking about. On 1680x1050, JUOT renders with something like 1830 pixels in width, making it 1140 look like a website designed for a 15" LCD from 10 years ago.
You are free to choose any number you want for the width... if you want 1800 pixels put in 1800.

10 years ago the prevailing resolution would have been 1024 wide, and yes that is why CNN is set to 1000- because they accommodate the millions of PCs who are still at 1024 wide.

The web isn't going to change because some MBPs will ship 2880 width... Every major site going is already fixed width and will remain fixed width.

I wouldn't be trying to make my web pages wider with a laptop like that- I wouldn't ever run a web browser even maximized on that resolution- use the extra space to display more apps on the screen at once.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Having an open looking layout that doesn't feel confined absolutely adds something of concrete value. It doesn't look as cluttered.
We do not have the option of having an arbitrary layout- we are confined by the limitations of the forum software to a point.

Enough people complained about these minor changes- imagine the complaints from a full style change. :rolleyes:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
We do not have the option of having an arbitrary layout- we are confined by the limitations of the forum software to a point.

Enough people complained about these minor changes- imagine the complaints from a full style change. :rolleyes:
JUOT membership is generally resistant to change. I think it has something to do with Obama's Hope & Change slogan...

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Every time I see a site in that more "narrow" style, I always scroll to the bottom to see if it's a Wordpress site. It's what it reminds me of I guess. I think that's what makes it more common these days.

Meh

Born-Again Hawaiian
VIP
WaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaH!!!!

STFU!

The settings changed back to width on my laptop. I got used to it again. Pron is easier to see all 3 windows at once. :clapping: