• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Generators

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Figured it was worth it's own thread.

I like the idea of having a standby generator for my next home. Need to do some more research, but I'm thinking one of the LP/NG varieties will work nicely depending on NG availability.

The thing I like about the LP option is that it allows you to function without the NG infrastructure working. Not sure how reliable that is, but in an extended emergency situation, I imagine it could be as problematic as the electric grid.... especially if there is an earthquake or supply chain interruption.

LP, on the other hand, would require a truck to come out to refill the tank during an outage. That could be an issue in most emergency situations. I wonder what kind of runtime you can get on a typical home installation.

The best of both worlds, I suppose, would be to run off of NG with the option of switching fuels to an on-site LP tank. Not sure if that's possible or not.

From what I'm reading, a 20kw standby unit would probably run two a/c units simultaneously for a 3k sq ft house.

BobKid

Bite me!
VIP
LP is only going to give you 3-4 days between refills if you're running close to full load. Good for short outages, but a problem if it drags into a week or more.

eysdan

WTF?
VIP
We have a Generac 20 KVA generator and it has served us well. It is LP, but we have a 1000 gallon tank as well. SAD has one too, but I can't remember how big. It got us through a three day power outage without any issues.

serfur1

bici italia
VIP
it's not that hard, P=V*I, your voltage is 120v or 220v for dryer or A/C. Take the fridge load, 120v*Amps, your A/C load, figure in a few hundred watts for lighting, a KW for powering computers/Tv/chargers etc. and you'll have the size that you need. you may have to turn on the large things one at a time since motors can pull 3 times their rated current on startup.

the other thing you can do is a residential power load study,
Using a stopwatch while watching for the black mark on the meter's disk, measure the time it takes for one or more disk rotations. If the disk is rotating rapidly, better accuracy will be attained if you time more than one rotation.

Finally, take the three values and use the equation below to calculate the watts seen by the electric meter.

Here is an example calculation. From the meter's face, Kh = 7.2. The time measured for 5 rotations of the disk was 24 seconds. Thus, Rev = 5 and T = 24 seconds.

watts = (Kh * Rev * 3600) / T

Watts = (7.2 * 5 * 3600) / 24

Watts = 5400

Turn everything on that you would want to run during an outage and you'll know exactly what you'll need in terms of sizing. This is the MOST effective way to determine the load as it's based on actual load usage.

Aged Punk Shredder

First World Anarchist
my gas one has worked perfectly ever since we got it. The power grid has not been down more than 30 minutes at a time since I bought the thing from my parents a couple of years ago :thup2:

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
We have a Generac 20 KVA generator and it has served us well. It is LP, but we have a 1000 gallon tank as well. SAD has one too, but I can't remember how big. It got us through a three day power outage without any issues.
Yup... 10K watt generac..

BTW... It's dual fuel. NG or LP. To switch it, there's a simple dipswitch on the carb.

Ours runs on NG.

Before the NG line was run out to the side of the house, I tested it on LP using a grill tank :pirate:

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
LP... I wonder what kind of runtime you can get on a typical home installation....
You can find the specs online... But generally expect to consume between 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon per hour.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP

BTW... It's dual fuel. NG or LP. To switch it, there's a simple dipswitch on the carb.

Ours runs on NG.

Before the NG line was run out to the side of the house, I tested it on LP using a grill tank :pirate:
Nice. After this outage, I'm purchasing a used 5500w portable gas powered unit to keep handy for the TH and/or family members that are in need.

When the time comes to build or buy, the next house will have a proper standby generator that can run everything. Since I'm looking for a more rural setting, I'm expecting that we'll end up having to go the LP route. DEZUL would be cool, but I'm not sure how reasonable that is in a rural residential setting.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
SAD, what kind of maintenance do you have to do with that unit? I'm assuming you have a weekly test/lube run set up. What about oil changes and that sort of thing? Is yours air cooled?

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
SAD, what kind of maintenance do you have to do with that unit? I'm assuming you have a weekly test/lube run set up. What about oil changes and that sort of thing? Is yours air cooled?
Air cooled. To get to a water cooled unit, you're talking big wattage and mega $$ (comparatively speaking of course).

Only maintenance is change oil once a year.... Check oil level every so often.

The computer runs a weekly exercise cycle on Wednesdays for 12 minutes at around lunch time.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Air cooled. To get to a water cooled unit, you're talking big wattage and mega $$ (comparatively speaking of course).

Only maintenance is change oil once a year.... Check oil level every so often.

The computer runs a weekly exercise cycle on Wednesdays for 12 minutes at around lunch time.
I'm thinking that for a home based unit, the air cooled would be preferable given the inherent maintenance of a water cooled unit. I'm assuming the oil change is pretty straightforward. Does it have a standard 12v starting battery?

Our 200kw and 100kw units at work run weekly for an hour or two on Tuesday mornings at 9am, but we have a contract for regular maintenance. At home, I'd be doing all of the maintenance.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP

Ours runs on NG.

Fire your electrician.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
I'm thinking that for a home based unit, the air cooled would be preferable given the inherent maintenance of a water cooled unit. I'm assuming the oil change is pretty straightforward. Does it have a standard 12v starting battery?

Our 200kw and 100kw units at work run weekly for an hour or two on Tuesday mornings at 9am, but we have a contract for regular maintenance. At home, I'd be doing all of the maintenance.
Yup. Standard 12v starting battery. Controller board has a charging thingy on it.

My neighbor had a 25k water cooled unit. Its ****ing loud. If mine and his are running and I'm on my back porch, I can hear his over mine. And his lot is 600-800 feet away.

Hubjeep

:hub: :hub2:
Ultra-Premium
Deezuhl FTW!! Lulz.
Diesel units are 4X the cost and rarely ever used in modern home standby as they are noisy and diesel longevity is not really needed since it is a standby unit.

SITB and main house are powered by a 12KW 4-cyl air-cooled Onan diesel (installed in 1992), there is no auto transfer switch, that would have been another $5K on top of the $12K generator. Today I would go with a Kohler RESA unit, made in the USA, both air cooled, and "clean" power, transfer switch sold separately.

BTW, taking random amperage checks the 12KW was at about 1/3 load most of the time with 3 refrigerators, three oil burner heads, etc. I only run one central A/C unit, besides that everything else is on, including the hot tub heater. It really doesn't take much to power a house, in this case two.

14KW
14RESA - Kohler - Kohler 14RESA 14kW Residential Generator - LP Vapor or Natural Gas

Add $1K for the 20KW
20RESA - Kohler - Kohler 20RESA 20kW Residential Generator - LP Vapor or Natural Gas

Fire your electrician.
X2. Pitch on that underground service entrance. :puzzled:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Why Kohler over Generac or Briggs & Stratton?

Our new 200kw and 100kw DEZUL generators at work are Kohler and have handled this outage like a champ.

Hubjeep

:hub: :hub2:
Ultra-Premium
Why Kohler over Generac or Briggs & Stratton?

Our new 200kw and 100kw DEZUL generators at work are Kohler and have handled this outage like a champ.
Kohler and Onan are known to basically be the two best generators out there. Kohler RESA units are priced about $1K over the Generac (other companies probably have that too). Kohler unit has a $50 optional network connection to check status of the generator from any computer. My relative wants a home standby unit, going with an RESA unit.

B&S is relatively new to home standby, they use their Vanguard (great) engines, not sure who makes their generator heads though. Generac has been around a while, not the best reputation, though their recent home standby units have had fairly good reviews.