• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Gonna be saying goodbye to the ZJ

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
Spent some time giving the ZJ a good detailing for the first time in...well I don't remember. The recurring theme ended up being large handfuls of bodywork coming off in my hands. Turns out everything from the door stills on down is basically gone. Even the firewall's rusting through. Might have something to do with my town's works department salting the roads for days before every threat of snow.

Anything in the mid '00 small SUV segment that isn't shit other than a RAV4 or CRV? Used to see a lot of Escapes on the road but those things disappeared faster than Neons around here.

John

Transplant
VIP
Honestly, if I was in the market for a small crossover I would buy a used V6 RAV4. The 3.5l is quick as shit in those and is a great engine IMO. they look decent with the sport pkg. I wouldn't even consider one without the V6.

John

Transplant
VIP
How is a pathfinder a small SUV? In all seriousness, if you are looking for a mid sized SUV. I love the '01.5-'04 (3.5l) Pathfinder. They look good, are comfortable, and drive great. They were ahead of their time.
:wavin2:

Hooligan

Employee of the Month
VIP
How much are you looking to spend? Escape didn't really have a good reputation for reliability.

And post pictures of ZJ rust!

:loot:

Mike

VIP
How is a pathfinder a small SUV? In all seriousness, if you are looking for a mid sized SUV. I love the '01.5-'04 (3.5l) Pathfinder. They look good, are comfortable, and drive great. They were ahead of their time.
The overall quality of the vehicle matters more than the size. Pathfinders are incredible vehicles, the choice of section 8 soccer moms everywhere.

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
Not really looking for anything bigger than a ZJ. Things like newer Pathfinnders are a lot more vehicle than I'm looking to drive around. And they're shit, thanks. :jump:

I think you have car buying addiction
Ha, the Benz was the first car I've bought in eight years. I thought by JUOT standards my life was boring unless I was flipping Jaguars weekly or cutting apart bread vans in by driveway.

Last edited:

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
My stepmom runs a 4-banger Rav4 in that genre and I find it very uncomfortable.

What about a 4-Runner?

We ran those in Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan. They were heaping piles of shit when compared to the Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero) & Toyota Prado. They were worse than the Trailblazers we ran, which surprised the hell out of me. We ran the piss out of Trailblazers offroad and they held up surprisingly well, much better than the Pathfinders. The Pajeros and Prados reigned surpreme. I think the Pajero handled the desert roads better than the Prado, especially at high speed.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
My stepmom runs a 4-banger Rav4 in that genre and I find it very uncomfortable.

What about a 4-Runner?

We ran those in Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan. They were heaping piles of shit when compared to the Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero) & Toyota Prado. They were worse than the Trailblazers we ran, which surprised the hell out of me. We ran the piss out of Trailblazers offroad and they held up surprisingly well, much better than the Pathfinders. The Pajeros and Prados reigned surpreme. I think the Pajero handled the desert roads better than the Prado, especially at high speed.
The gx470 is a Prado.

John

Transplant
VIP
The R50 ('96-'04) was unibody. It wasn't made for blasting through the desert. In normal use they hold up well. I just recommend the later 3.5l models. They have a lot more power, better engine design, and better mpg. Win win