• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Gonna try some LED bulbs

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
you can replace the whole fixture for $40-60.

there are no serviceable parts, it's just one big ****ing light bulb.

I never pursued replacing ballasts/wiring blah screw that shit.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Sam's has some nice LED shop lights. Super bright compared to the old tubes I had. Around $37 a fixture.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
Trying real hard to spend as little as possible to do the job. $37-$60 a fixture is kind of high.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Trying real hard to spend as little as possible to do the job. $37-$60 a fixture is kind of high.
I just ordered this -- T8T10T12 LED Light Tube, 4FT, Hyperikon, Dual-End Powered, Easy Installation, 18W (40W equivalent), 2200 Lumens, 4000K (Daylight Glow), Clear Cover, DLC UL - (Pack of 4) - - Amazon.com

That's (with Prime) ~$30 per fixture and a really good review status. Once I get them installed I'll let you know if was worth it. I only ordered a 4-pack, so I'll have them up next to 8 traditional fluorescents to decide if it's worth getting two more 4 packs to finish it out. The single bay of the garage has an almost bad ballast -- takes a few quick flicks of the switch to get those to come on, and the hum is annoying as shit. Figure I'll put these in that side to see if it's worth doing my big/shop side.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
I just ordered this -- T8T10T12 LED Light Tube, 4FT, Hyperikon, Dual-End Powered, Easy Installation, 18W (40W equivalent), 2200 Lumens, 4000K (Daylight Glow), Clear Cover, DLC UL - (Pack of 4) - - Amazon.com

That's (with Prime) ~$30 per fixture and a really good review status. Once I get them installed I'll let you know if was worth it. I only ordered a 4-pack, so I'll have them up next to 8 traditional fluorescents to decide if it's worth getting two more 4 packs to finish it out. The single bay of the garage has an almost bad ballast -- takes a few quick flicks of the switch to get those to come on, and the hum is annoying as shit. Figure I'll put these in that side to see if it's worth doing my big/shop side.
These are apparently compatible with ballast or can be wired direct, bypassing the ballast. Let us know which way you decide to install them, and how it works out.

Thanks!
:beerchug:

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
These are apparently compatible with ballast or can be wired direct, bypassing the ballast. Let us know which way you decide to install them, and how it works out.

Thanks!
Al, you seem like a good guy. Seriously, why you would not want to pitch the whole gawdamned mess while you still can? In a few years those ballasts will be classified as hazardous waste and you'll be lucky to pay someone to take them.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
Al, you seem like a good guy. Seriously, why you would not want to pitch the whole gawdamned mess while you still can? In a few years those ballasts will be classified as hazardous waste and you'll be lucky to pay someone to take them.
I'll be perfectly happy to remove the ballast and rewire the fixture for LED direct wire use. That's trivial. But if he uses the LED tube with the ballast, I'd like to hear how that works, too. I personally don't want it in the circuit, because it just wastes electrons, makes noise, and will eventually fail.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I'm only buying LED's to replace standard bulbs, no more CFL etc. For shop lights... in the basement I'm using standard florescent for now. Much more budget friendly and the ceiling height is low enough that changing them out is a no ladder affair. Garage, I'll probably install LED as I can find the money to do so.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I'll be perfectly happy to remove the ballast and rewire the fixture for LED direct wire use. That's trivial. But if he uses the LED tube with the ballast, I'd like to hear how that works, too. I personally don't want it in the circuit, because it just wastes electrons, makes noise, and will eventually fail.

Shit, sorry - I guess I pasted the wrong link. I got the single-end powered and plan to remove the ballast. One of those fixtures has the loudest ballast I've ever heard, so I know its days are numbered.

4-Pack of Hyperikon T8 LED Light Tube, 4ft, 18W (36W equivalent), 5000K (Crystal White Glow), Single Ended Power, Frosted Cover, UL-Listed DLC-qualified - [4 Tombstones Included] - - Amazon.com

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm trying these out now to get a feel for them because I plan on running nothing but LED in the new house. I don't want a single CFL in the new house, I want to start with all LED from the beginning. I hate CFL bulbs. They're absolute garbage. For that matter, I don't want any florescent tubes at all either.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP