• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Gonna try some LED bulbs

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
If you like to save money, you'll like them. I have some Feit brand that take about 1/4 second to turn on, but no big deal. I also have some GE brand that are instant.
:shrug:

pejeeper

Ninjas need not apply
VIP
I bought from 1000bulbs.com. Got dimmable 60 watt equivalent bulbs and dimmable retro fit recessed lights for $12 apiece. No complaints.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Lower has 2-packs of LED Bulbs for $3.98 through Monday.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
todays LEDs are awesome and that's a decent price.

Things I've found since making the switch a few years ago:

Even "dimmable" LEDs are not compatible with all dimmers, I don't recall this ever being an issue with incandescent.

The wavelength of some LEDs can cast odd shadows especially in low light. Example: it may appear there is a wet spot on your bed when in reality there is not, meat in the fridge may look funny but appear just fine in normal light.

I recently bought 2 decorative clear LEDs from Amazon, had some problems with the "look" of them until I noticed they are 50hz bulbs and not 60hz like 99% of the bulbs sold in the US. 50hz is the European standard. Not sure if that's the issue or not, research I've done says it should not matter one bit. :shrug:

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
I had incandescent bulbs in recessed cans in my basement. My drums are right under one of the cans and my melon would get toasty. I switched to LED's and no more hot head. :D

I have two Commercial Electric flush fixtures, one in the kitchen over the sink is starting to flicker. I've only had it a year. I may move it to the front entry where it won't be used much. Sometimes I leave the one in the kitchen on all night. Maybe I'll put a dimmer on it.

Last edited:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I bought from 1000bulbs.com. Got dimmable 60 watt equivalent bulbs and dimmable retro fit recessed lights for $12 apiece. No complaints.
No way I'd pay $12 each for replacing standard incandescent bulbs.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
I have a lot of lights that are on all the time, and since I completed the conversion to LEDs my monthly usage is down almost 200kwh a month. Can't really go by $$ because AEP keeps jacking the rates.

It would seem everything I have ever done to save energy has been negated by the power company :teary: and the PUCO just approved another rate hike because their equipment is antiquated. bullshit.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
No way I'd pay $12 each for replacing standard incandescent bulbs.
overall I think I've averaged $7 a bulb, and I have a lot of them. The most being $17 for a 3-way that really wasn't worth it and $40 for a shop light that really kicks ass but it's not really worth the $$ either.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
It would seem everything I have ever done to save energy has been negated by the power company :teary: and the PUCO just approved another rate hike because their equipment is antiquated. bullshit.
Just read an editorial about that in the PD. ****ing Kasich appointees to the PUCO.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I am currently (no pun) testing an led 60 watt equiv on an inverter to see how long the light will stay lit. Starting time is 0945 mountain daylight time.

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
2-packs for $3.97 at WalMart every day. So far I've had good luck with them.
if you mean the GreatValue (Walmart brand) yes I have had very good luck with them too. They are a lot better now than when they first came out.

I have some of the GV 100w eq. in my utility room and they will fawking blind you. One third the price of everyone else.

Al Johnson

Northwoods Hillbilly
VIP
I need to replace some 4' shop light fluorescent tubes with LEDs of some sort. I could easily rewire the fixtures for the LED tubes that don't use the ballast, or install LED tubes where you leave the ballast in place and wired up, or replace the entire fixture with a new LED fixture.

What's my best way to go, and why? $ is for sure a factor.

Go, and thanks.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I need to replace some 4' shop light fluorescent tubes with LEDs of some sort. I could easily rewire the fixtures for the LED tubes that don't use the ballast, or install LED tubes where you leave the ballast in place and wired up, or replace the entire fixture with a new LED fixture.

What's my best way to go, and why? $ is for sure a factor.

Go, and thanks.
Same here - I have 6 double-tube 48" in the garage I want gone. Someone posted some up a while back -- either Ralph or SAD I think.