• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Google Drive

neevo

Limey Hippo
Skydrive has just dropped to 7GB free, but those already signed up can get about 20GB by registering for the extra

KJVBlueXJ

signaling the Mothership
VIP
It's not available for me yet. Unless it provides some significant options that Dropbox does not, I see no reason to change for now...

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
It's not available for me yet. Unless it provides some significant options that Dropbox does not, I see no reason to change for now...
I like the ability to specify which folders get synced. That way I can use it on my work PC without syncing my home pron. :clapping:

Seriously though... that's nice. I used Dropbox on two desktops, a laptop, a VM, and a cloud server. It's nice to be able to tailor the syncing to the specific PC. My development VM is tight on space, so it's nice not to have all of my photos synced to it.

KJVBlueXJ

signaling the Mothership
VIP
I like the ability to specify which folders get synced. That way I can use it on my work PC without syncing my home pron. :clapping:

Seriously though... that's nice. I used Dropbox on two desktops, a laptop, a VM, and a cloud server. It's nice to be able to tailor the syncing to the specific PC. My development VM is tight on space, so it's nice not to have all of my photos synced to it.
Windows Synctoy does the same thing for me. I just have the specific folders I want synced with their Dropbox counterparts. Works like a charm...

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I have skydrive with 25 gigs but it wouldn't let me upload more than 100mb at a time.

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I'm not a fan of the new Google additional storage pricing, glad I am locked in for now at the old rate.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I don't plan on storing much on the cloud drive, so 5gb is perfect for me.

I also didn't realize that it wasn't completely live yet. My friend couldn't get signed up yet. He just has a link to notify him when it's available. Maybe it's because I'm a developer, or maybe it has to do with the age of the account.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm finding Google Drive to not be as robust at syncing my machines as Dropbox is. I have a client that doesn't split tunnel VPN access and has pretty tight firewall rules. When I'm on VPN, Dropbox and Google Drive don't sync. When I get off VPN, Google Drive stays hung up longer than Dropbox. Really annoying when I'm trying to grab my laptop and continue working.