• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Hey computer geeks....Kat wants a new laptop....

currently she has an old Gateway netbook.

she does not want a tablet (although I think this is what she should get, but she is dumb)

she does not want any Apple products (again, she is dumb)

she wants something small, and portable with a little bit more computing power than the netbook....

suggestions? I will spend up to $500 on this.

she wants it mainly for surfing the web, emailing and doing household crap on.

Last edited:

Liam W

Asus X401A.

I'm using it... 14" notebook. No disk drive, but gets the job done and runs really well ;)

Only £200 or so...

Dunno if they're in the US.

mnLiberty

JUOT
VIP
What is she going to use it for? What about a surface tablet with keyboard? Xoom with keyboard? Nexus with keyboard? If you have a desktop or laptop already in the home does she really need that out just something to play on (emails, movies, web surfing etc.)?

Ralph

VIP
If your budget were bigger, I'd say Surface Pro. Laptop+tablet. But since you're such a ****ing tightwad, just get her a cheapo Dell craptop.

nophun

nicht keinen Spaß
VIP
Toshiba Satellite ultrabook, $499 direct from the mfg. Consistently rated highest quality Tier. They make their own drives and stuff.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Don't waste the coin on the Surface Pro if all she intends to do is surf the innerwebs and type an occasional document. Go with the Surface RT and call it a day.

Speaking of which, the Surface RT vs Ipad commercials are f'n stupid. The RT doesn't compete with the iPad at any level. At best, the Surface RT competes with low end Android tablets and the Pro competes with the Macbook Air. They may as well have put the Surface up against a Dodge Durango and declared victory.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
currently she has an old Gateway netbook.

she does not want a tablet (although I think this is what she should get, but she is dumb)

she does not want any Apple products (again, she is dumb)

she wants something small, and portable with a little bit more computing power than the netbook....

suggestions? I will spend up to $500 on this.

she wants it mainly for surfing the web, emailing and doing household crap on.
Truth to be told, I'd probably buy her a 13.3 Macbook. :shrug: If she wants the Windows, install it for her too.

Just make sure you get your nuts back before you give it to her.