• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

I made some smoked ribs.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Used only salt and pepper, wood smoke from peach trees and cherry. Came out really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
About 2.5 and then in the oven at 205 for two hours. Something like that

I still don't understand the appeal of smoking. I'm not saying it's stupid or bad or wrong or anything like that - for some reason "I don't understand" has a negative connotation in modern language. I mean I literally don't understand it. I've never done it, and the only stuff I've ever eaten that has been smoked was done by drunk dudes that probably aren't all that good at cooking using any method, so I've seen no benefit to the method. My grandfather had a walk-in smoker on his back porch for a while, but I had his barbecue made with smoked butts from that and with butts/loins done on a grill (and even in a crock pot) and they all came out just as awesome -- I think his secret was something other than the method used to cook the pork, but I don't know what it was.

I still don't understand the appeal of smoking. I'm not saying it's stupid or bad or wrong or anything like that - for some reason "I don't understand" has a negative connotation in modern language. I mean I literally don't understand it. I've never done it, and the only stuff I've ever eaten that has been smoked was done by drunk dudes that probably aren't all that good at cooking using any method, so I've seen no benefit to the method. My grandfather had a walk-in smoker on his back porch for a while, but I had his barbecue made with smoked butts from that and with butts/loins done on a grill (and even in a crock pot) and they all came out just as awesome -- I think his secret was something other than the method used to cook the pork, but I don't know what it was.

Bacon is smoked you dumbass and i am pretty sure you shove that shit down your fat gullet all the time.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Run out of fuel outside?

Edit that was for miweedco

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Bacon is smoked you dumbass and i am pretty sure you shove that shit down your fat gullet all the time.
Big reader, yeah? Did I say I don't eat smoked meats, or disliked them? I said I don't understand what the difference is, because I've never encountered it making a difference. Explain it to me, dickface.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Nothing can break down the sinew and fat like smoking meat at a low temperature for hours at a time. Other methods can mimic it, but it's not the same. Side by side I promise you will tell a difference.

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
Nothing can break down the sinew and fat like smoking meat at a low temperature for hours at a time. Other methods can mimic it, but it's not the same. Side by side I promise you will tell a difference.
Oh I know. They were good but yeah I usually wrap in the smoker like the pros on tv

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
See :leon2: , this gentleman understands how to respond to questions in a positive way after having read them.

So, my non-dickheaded friend from ABQ, it's that long exposure to moderate heat has an effect on the composition of the meat? Not necessarily "smoking" as much as it is cooking for a long time at low heat? That makes sense. I've never liked the "smoke" flavor, or that crust others seem to enjoy from a heavy sear, but I do like tender meat with no lumps of fat or sinew.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
See :leon2: , this gentleman understands how to respond to questions in a positive way after having read them.

So, my non-dickheaded friend from ABQ, it's that long exposure to moderate heat has an effect on the composition of the meat? Not necessarily "smoking" as much as it is cooking for a long time at low heat? That makes sense. I've never liked the "smoke" flavor, or that crust others seem to enjoy from a heavy sear, but I do like tender meat with no lumps of fat or sinew.
Yes, 100%

The smoke is typically just for the first portion of the entire cooking time. Yes, you may still be using flavored wood as your fuel, but the smoke really gets in to the meat in the first hour or so. The rest of the time it's just cooking "low and slow".

Ralph

VIP
Low and slow is why I like sous-vide. I did a brisket a few months ago. 155 for 30 hours. I dumped the seasoning packet in the SV bag along with some liquid smoke. After the SV, in the fridge overnight. The next day, 500* oven to put a crust on it. Pull when it's warm. Guaranteed, as good as anything out of a smoker.

DieselSJ

Staff member
VIP

Yes, that long slow low-heat cook renders most of the fat and connective tissue out of the meat, making it more tender. Smoke is really just to add flavor and you can actually get a great tasting result just using a good quality natural hardwood lump charcoal with a good seasoning rub. There was a guy I competed against that just used a mix of salt, pepper, and garlic powder and would consistently finish high in the competitions - it tasted awesome and he was super consistent on the texture of the meat. I've been tempted to just try a basic salt/pepper rub on pork ribs like I do on my prime rib just to see how it comes out. My prime rib is a great example of not using any special smoke flavor or fancy rubs and ending up with something that is better than I can get at any restaurant.

pirranah

pierced dingaling
VIP
Yes, that long slow low-heat cook renders most of the fat and connective tissue out of the meat, making it more tender. Smoke is really just to add flavor and you can actually get a great tasting result just using a good quality natural hardwood lump charcoal with a good seasoning rub. There was a guy I competed against that just used a mix of salt, pepper, and garlic powder and would consistently finish high in the competitions - it tasted awesome and he was super consistent on the texture of the meat. I've been tempted to just try a basic salt/pepper rub on pork ribs like I do on my prime rib just to see how it comes out. My prime rib is a great example of not using any special smoke flavor or fancy rubs and ending up with something that is better than I can get at any restaurant.
Some of the best 'Que I've had was very minimal with the seasoning. That fat caramelizes and creates its own season. I'll go out in the woods and grab some hickory nut casings, soak them in water for a bit, then toss them on a hot bed of coals. I use a cast iron skillet for the meat to sit in. Once it's done I'll make a gravy out of the drippings, OMG it's so rich