• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

I would be one extremely PO'd midwesterner

Bobkid [JU]

Archived
Sometimes, I can't even begin to imagine the lack of mental powers exercised by those in the legal profession. :rant:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-molest01.html

Fitzroy Barnaby said he had to swerve to avoid hitting the 14-year-old Des Plaines girl who walked in front of his car.

She said he yelled, "Come here, little girl," before getting out of his car and grabbing her by the arm.

He said he simply lectured her.

She said she broke free and ran, fearful of what he'd do next.

In a Thursday ruling, the Appellate Court of Illinois said the 28-year-old Evanston man must register as a sex offender.

While acknowledging it might be "unfair for [Barnaby] to suffer the stigmatization of being labeled a sex offender when his crime was not sexually motivated," the court said his actions are the type that are "often a precursor" to a child being abducted or molested.

Though Barnaby was acquitted of attempted kidnapping and child abduction charges stemming from the November 2002 incident, he was convicted of unlawful restraint of a minor -- which is a sex offense

:swear:

Bobkid [JU]

Archived
goldenjeeper said:
I would have appealed, got high publicity, and leaned on that judge.
:yup: an appeal would be mandatory IMO. No f'ing way would I let myself be labelled like that when what the guy really should have done is give the kid a good beating to teach her a lesson.

CJ5 [JU]

Archived
That is the biggest bunch of bull**** I have seen lately. The story is so full of crap.

While acknowledging it might be "unfair for [Barnaby] to suffer the stigmatization of being labeled a sex offender when his crime was not sexually motivated," the court said his actions are the type that are "often a precursor" to a child being abducted or molested.
What a crock! How could they possibly reach this conclusion based on the incident?

Though Barnaby was acquitted of attempted kidnapping and child abduction charges stemming from the November 2002 incident, he was convicted of unlawful restraint of a minor -- which is a sex offense.
So he grabbed a girls arm to tell her she is an idiot and does not need to play in the raod:puzzled:

Now, he will have to tell local police where he lives and won't be able to live near a park or school.

"This is the most stupid ruling the appellate court has rendered in years," said Barnaby's Chicago attorney, Frederick Cohn. "If you see a 15-year-old beating up your 8-year-old and you grab that kid's hand and are found guilty of unlawful restraint, do you now have to register as a sex offender?"
Obviously so counselor:rolleyes:

"because of the proclivity of offenders who restrain children to also commit sex acts or other crimes against them."
An most murders and thief come from drug users so lets go ahead and charge them right away when they are picked up with a nickle bag.

In the criminal case against him, Cook County Judge Patrick Morse said that "it's more likely than not" Barnaby planned only "to chastise the girl" when he grabbed her, but "I can't read his mind."
Well you are though are you not, judge. You are making him a sex offender by reading something into that it is not.

"I don't really see the purpose of registration in this case. I really don't," Morse said. "But I feel that I am constrained by the statute."
In other words you don't have the sack to do what is right

Recognizing the stigma that comes with being labeled as a sex offender, the appellate court said "it is [Barnaby's] actions which have caused him to be stigmatized, not the courts."
Bull****, sackless turd!!

It is crap like this that makes me disagree with having people register as sex offenders. I never liked it when they started this who mess. Yes, it may be nice to know if a molester lived in my neighborhood but it is not worth the potential for the violation of someone's rights. I would like to know if there are any thief, murders, rapists or drug users in my neighborhood. Why not have these people register as well. This is a prime example of the saying that "those who are willing to give up a few rights for security will eventually have niether".

You have done the time then that should be it. I find it wrong to stigmatize someone and require them to "register" once they are released. If they pose that much danger then change the sentencing guidelines.

wrong wrong wrong

CJ5 [JU]

Archived
Derrick2 said:
Serves him right. He'd get a beatdown if he put his hands on my kid.
This is part of the problem IMHO.

When I was growing up, hanging around the neigborhood with my friends, if anyone of us got caught by any of the parents we would get the riot act. Hell, my parents would know of **** before I made it home. I would then get another beat down. It just doesn't happen that way anymore becasue of pussified parents who are willing to believe thier own child before they would anyone else.In my parents book if another adult was so inclined to give me **** for something I did then I deserved it, regardless.

Bobkid [JU]

Archived
CJ5 said:
I find it wrong to stigmatize someone and require them to "register" once they are released. If they pose that much danger then change the sentencing guidelines.

wrong wrong wrong
I agree. IMO the whole concept of registration is a farce and nothing but extra-legal means of adding on punishment when the law admits it doesn't have the sack to do it right the first time.

I bet there'd be a whole bunch more uproar if they started an Islamic registry to prevent terrorism. :shush:

Taggart [JU]

Archived
BobKid said:
:yup: an appeal would be mandatory IMO. No f'ing way would I let myself be labelled like that when what the guy really should have done is give the kid a good beating to teach her a lesson.
x2. I would have given her a good swat on the butt to reinforce the lesson. If that caused her idiot dad to come out swinging, then he'd need the paramendics' help finding all his teeth afterward.

CJ5 [JU]

Archived
BobKid said:
I agree. IMO the whole concept of registration is a farce and nothing but extra-legal means of adding on punishment when the law admits it doesn't have the sack to do it right the first time.

I bet there'd be a whole bunch more uproar if they started an Islamic registry to prevent terrorism. :shush:
true, I find the whole "registering" issue pathetic and quite frankly unjust.

Bobkid [JU]

Archived
DHMeieio said:
x2. I would have given her a good swat on the butt to reinforce the lesson. If that caused her idiot dad to come out swinging, then he'd need the paramendics' help finding all his teeth afterward.
If this were 25 years ago the guy would've whacked her upside the head and then delivered her home where mom or dad would've administered a much more painful lesson. :yup: And then the lesson would've stuck. In this case, the girl learned nothing.

I bet this kid gets hit by a car within the next year.