• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Is it possible a broken exhaust was preventing the service engine soon light...

Sean Mallory

Legend in my own mind
To break this down to the lowest level, you took your ZJ somewhere ("they fixed the exhaust"), and now you have a CEL and multiple codes. You do the math.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'd also be tempted to just clear the code, then start it and let it get completely up to temp a couple times to see if it persists.
Is clearing the code necessary? Will it just go away if the problem goes away after a period of regular driving?

Sean Mallory

Legend in my own mind
Right, the CEL will go out if the problem isn't there, but the computer will store the codes for 50 restarts I believe. Resetting the computer will clear the codes and it's not a bad idea, since it will start over learning.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Is clearing the code necessary? Will it just go away if the problem goes away after a period of regular driving?
Some conditions will cause the CEL to go off when the condition no longer exists. Others will persist for a specified number of key-on-off cycles (where the engine runs for 3-5 minutes I think). It's easier to just clear it and see if it comes back than to wait for it to go off.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I'd imagine 'catalyst efficiency' is the only code a cracked exhaust might suppress. It would have to be cracked between upstream and dowmstream O2's
That's what popped into my head, too. My buddy has used spark plug "no foul" adapters to solve the code caused by his bad cat.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Is there some way to clear the code without removing the battery and with no special tools- as in- something my mom can do?

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Might be able to get an auto parts store to do it for you. I can see that being outlawed in the commie state of NY though.

John

Transplant
VIP
To break this down to the lowest level, you took your ZJ somewhere ("they fixed the exhaust"), and now you have a CEL and multiple codes. You do the math.
That was my first instinct. I'm also not certain that the Avalanche needed all of the shitload of work that they charged him for.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Is there some way to clear the code without removing the battery and with no special tools- as in- something my mom can do?
Think you could talk her through disconnecting the negative post of the battery and letting it sit for a while so the capacitors drain? 13mm wrench (or adjustable) to loosen the clamp bolt, flat screwdriver and/or pliers to spread and wiggle the cable off of the post. Let it sit that way for as long as you like, 10m should be plenty. Newer stuff has static mem to keep codes but a '96 should clear once all power is gone.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Think you could talk her through disconnecting the negative post of the battery and letting it sit for a while so the capacitors drain? 13mm wrench (or adjustable) to loosen the clamp bolt, flat screwdriver and/or pliers to spread and wiggle the cable off of the post. Let it sit that way for as long as you like, 10m should be plenty. Newer stuff has static mem to keep codes but a '96 should clear once all power is gone.
Absolutely not. Mom is deathly afraid of car batteries, she won't even use jumper cables or the battery charger we have.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Absolutely not. Mom is deathly afraid of car batteries, she won't even use jumper cables or the battery charger we have.
That's fair. I don't know your area, but I know when I was working at the parts store if a mom came in and asked I would have done it for her. Maybe others can come up with better options.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
OOC, what is the reasoning behind her battery-phobia? Is it just car batteries or is she scared of changing the batteries in a TV remote too?

Glenn

Desert Dweller
VIP
Most parts stores will read codes and try to sell you parts that the computer says "may" be the problem. Not too many will erase the codes anymore, they will claim liability issues. Litigious society is great, right comrade?

That's fair. I don't know your area, but I know when I was working at the parts store if a mom came in and asked I would have done it for her. Maybe others can come up with better options.