• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Is there a better online backup than Carbonite?

Ralph

VIP
I'm still using Backblaze. It has saved my ass several times. No complaints from me.

My initial backup took so long because I throttled it back. We watch lots of Netflix and Hulu+.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
BackBlaze is looking good... Once I turned off throttling the estimated time to completion went down to 6 days... from an original estimate of 92.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Backblaze initial upload (over 170 Gigs) completed in about 4 days... Much faster than my initial iDrive upload a few years back when I had only about 100 gigs of data... Weeks faster in fact.

So the "catch" (not really a catch) with BackBlaze is that the files must exist on your computer for them to remain backed up- unlike iDrive and others where you could (in theory) delete files from your local computer and keep them online forever, BackBlaze will delete in 30 days. This is bad news if you try to backup external hard drives- you will need to plug it in at least once a month so it knows not to delete those files.

I'm OK with that.

Signing up (with payment) today, and canceling iDrive.