• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Labor Day Smoke

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Beef Rump Roast into the Gateway...

Cut roast...

Bacon wrapped asparagus...

Brats...

I was disappointed with the butchering on the roast. The butcher didn’t leave on a nice layer of fat. It was cut in a fairly fucked up manner, such that it was actually two cuts of meat.

Rubbed the beef roast with herbs. Pyrex has onions, minced garlic and stock in it, plus it caught all of the drippings during the smoke. 250°F for ~2hrs.

The temp actually climbed 6°F on that beef rump roast compared to a pork shoulder roast that doesn’t climb. All in all it turned out nicely.

Brats on the smoker are much better than on the grill.

Let’s see what the conglomerate concocted for Labor Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
This was Sunday, I didn’t get any pics of the brats yesterday

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
I'm starting to dislike using my smoker with the Meater+ thermometer. The Meater+ is too sensitive compared to the mechanical thermometer on the drum smoker. So when the mech. thermometer reads 250°F, the Meater might read 265°F to 275°F depending on grate level. Then I start fucking with the intakes and chimney and it causes a cyclical temp variation. The only way to comfortably smoke with the Meater+ on this unit is if the temp swing is set +25°F / -10°F (actually depends on rack level). Or just don't set any temp swing alarms at all and just let it be. Playing the temp swing alarm game sucks. Even when the Meater+ reads higher than the mech. thermometer, the end product is excellent.