• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Minibb test forum

neelandan

Owner of dot net
So, after installing six or seven forum packages and succeeding in a few, I have taken the simplest and put it up.

The minibb forum, in its default configuration, allows anonymous guests to post. So I can put up a description of some electronic gizmo that only nuts like me have any interest in, and other nuts can leave their comments with the least bit of effort.

Allowing posts to registered users only is one way to limit spam. But it's real purpose is to build a community since it allows a person to "own" his own posts.

Where all the posts may be anonymous and registration is optional such a community might not get established at all.

Test minibb forum by Alan James <------ feel free to post, but be aware that a custom php script attempts to directly identify your original IP even if behind a proxy or on tor.

Last edited by a moderator:

neelandan

Owner of dot net
The first day, and my forum has five posts already!

Two by me, and three spam posts. Apparently you need ten posts before you can post links, and so guests (and spammers) can't post them at all.

I've been trying to customize it. The smilies are all placed inside a folder, together with a php file containing an array, associating smiley code with smiley file names.

The first one was the "mexicanwave" from the now defunct theranter forum. It looks like this:

The second is going to be the "jump" from juot.

The installation process for minibb isn't secure. After uploading all files, you visit a link. It doesn't authenticate you, so anyone can visit it and start the installation, and wipe out your content any time. So you remove that file after installing. This script also checks for program and database versions, file and directory permissions, and recommended that the forums main directory be made read only.

There is no elaborate admin or customization interface: options are changed by editing a file in that directory. And that would be impossible if the directory is read only. So, you will spend a lot of time fiddling with file and directory permissions. And editing files.

neelandan

Owner of dot net
The smiley codes seem to be translated into image links BEFORE inserting into the database.

The "quote" function is performed client side, by javascript, I think.

Everything is different. And compact. The download was only about 330kb.

neelandan

Owner of dot net
At another message board the admin has (I think) a custom coded reputation add on. It's on vbulletin, and works somewhat like the "likes & stfu" on juot.

You add your comments, too, and a variable number of reputation points. These comments are all displayed inside a box right inside your message cell.

This might get to be a problem if a hundred or more rep comments get posted, but it seems to work all right for forums with a handful of members.