• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

My Amazon Echo Dot Review

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I would normally leave a review on Amazon but since the Echo Dot can only be ordered verbally from an original Amazon Echo or using the Alexa feature on a Fire TV with voice remote (or stick), Amazon doesn't maintain a normal page for the Echo Dot on which you can leave reviews.

The Dot is currently marked as being Out of Stock so it can't be ordered as of the time of this writing but is expected to be back in stock soon. It took about 3 weeks from the time I placed my order until it was delivered which was one week quicker than estimated when the order was placed.

The dot is the smaller version of the original echo and is roughly half the price. It uses the same microphone technology so you can talk to it from any direction and even from far away, but instead of a large, impressive speaker the Dot has a tiny speaker which clearly was only intended to be used for setup. While you don't require some sort of additional speaker/stereo system it is the entire reason the Dot was created- it has the audio out (and ability to connect to bluetooth speakers) that was for some reason left out of the original Echo.

The Dot comes with the power cord as well as a basic 3.5mm stereo audio cable, male on both ends, meant to plug into a stereo or speaker system of some sort. Computer speakers would work fine, though I personally have put it to the Aux input of a Bose Wave Radio II I had left over from the years I had money to spend.

The cable that comes with it is about 3 feet long and seemed decent. It wasn't until I ordered a shorter 12 inch cable (because I didn't need all the extra cable hanging out) did I discover the cable that comes with it, at least in my case, is pretty bad. The audio is far cleaner with this shorter, 3rd party cable.

This new cable eliminated one of the bigger gripes I had with the Dot and that was that despite the Bose Radio volume being at 90 percent of its max, when the Dot's volume was set to 3 or less (by simply saying, "Alexa, Volume 3") I couldn't hear anything at all over the Bose speakers. However with the new cable I can hear it clearly, it is just very low- lower than an Original Echo at Volume 3.

My original Echo I used to keep at Volume 5. I'm finding my Dot I need to keep at Volume 6 or 7 to get near the same volume output.

I have yet to try to connect my Dot to bluetooth speakers since I don't have any, curious if the volume would be any better.

There seems to be nothing the original Echo to do that Dot can't do except sound good without external speakers.

I expect the next full size Echo will include audio out, or at least a bluetooth audio option, so I am not certain what future the Dot will have. I suppose its lower price makes it attractive but unless Amazon opens ordering to first time Echo buyers it will not gain that mass appeal.

Overall i give the echo Dot a solid :4.5stars: (4.5 stars), I would like to see it have a better audio cable included and higher overall volume output. If you have your own speakers it's certainly worth saving $75 to $100 by buying a Dot rather than a full size Echo.

I did manage to easily de-register the Echo Remote that come with my Original Echo and pair it to Echo Dot, no problem. I kept the remote with my Dot which is now my Primary Echo and let Mom take the old full size Echo downstairs.

UPDATED September 14, 2016 - The Amazon Echo Dot is now available for pre-order via Amazon's website.
This 2nd generation dot is smaller, lighter, and less expensive at $50.

I have a Dot in my bedroom. While I'd love to wake up to music, my wife does not.. I wake to Pandora on my phone at a very low volume that I can quickly turn off without talking to it.

My Dot is connected to a bluetooth speaker (JBL Charge), and volume isn't an issue. For someone with a home stereo system the Dot would be a perfect add-on.

edit: BTW, this sentence of yours (BOPs) is worded poorly. I know what you meant, but this implies the opposite...
While you don't require some sort of additional speaker/stereo system it is the entire reason the Dot was created- it lacks the audio out (and ability to connect to bluetooth speakers) that was for some reason left out of the original Echo.
I think what you meant to say is it supports the audio out......

Last edited:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
would this be good to use as an alarm clock in my bedroom?
You could but there are better alarm clocks for much cheaper if you just want an alarm clock.

I have a Dot in my bedroom. While I'd love to wake up to music, my wife does not.. I wake to Pandora on my phone at a very low volume that I can quickly turn off without talking to it.

My Dot is connected to a bluetooth speaker (JBL Charge), and volume isn't an issue. For someone with a home stereo system the Dot would be a perfect add-on.

edit: BTW, this sentence of yours (BOPs) is worded poorly. I know what you meant, but this implies the opposite...

I think what you meant to say is it supports the audio out......
THanks, fixed it.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
What does it do? Is it like Siri for your coffee table?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
What does it do? Is it like Siri for your coffee table?
It's an Echo that connects to better speakers.

Echo is like Siri but stationary in your house. It connects to your Amazon account as well as Pandora, iHeartRadio, Google Calendar, Audible, and some others giving you a voice interface. It also lets you play many Kindle books as audio books in the Echo's voice (converting each word to sound) rather than traditional audio books that are just recorded audio. Also works to control smart home devices- I use it to adjust my thermostat, other people use it to turn on/dim lights.

Besides music from Prime Music and the above services, you can upload 250 mp3s for free to your personal Amazon music library and make playlists to play from the echo. For a few dollars a month you get basically unlimited song uploads in case your favorite music isn't already on Amazon Prime music or another service.

In addition there are "skills" you can download to do more things like check train schedules, play games.

News updates, weather, and traffic are built in.

You can ask it questions, ask it to read Wikipedia entries, roll dice, flip coins, do math, spell words, define words, etc...