• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

New JUOT SEO Tool: Search Engine Keyword Grabber

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Just an update- you may start seeing at the bottom of threads a "Search Engine Keyword Tags" box with keywords of different sizes and colors...

An example would be at the bottom of this thread:
Zip Code 80085 (What state do The Simpsons live in?) - JUOT - Joes Ultimate Off Topic

This will only happen on "on topic" pages- that is pages which are open to search engines.

This new mod I created captures the query string someone used to find the page... It then adds these words as tags to the page thereby increasing the relevancy even more next time the page gets indexed by search engines.

This will pick up the keywords from the major search engines- Google, Yahoo, Bing, Ask.com, and I think mywaysearch...

The big exception however is that Google over https does not disclose the tags used "for security and privacy" purposes according to Google- and anyone signed into a Google account is redirected to the https search automatically.

Still in just an hour or so of being installed I see a handful of threads have already collected some keywords.

Just keeping you informed in case you see something different on a page.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I was wondering WTF was the junk at the bottom of that 2x4 thread. This why you bumped it up?

Hoping it will drive traffic here? Going to offer the mod for sale?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
the 2x4 price has always been a big draw from Google, I knew that it was always in the top 10 or so when I did the keyword review for the month.

But yes I saw it was one of the first threads to be tagged so I figured it wouldn't hurt to bump it.

I haven't decided if I will sell it or give it away yet.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
If it took you a short amount of time, maybe just give it away. If it took a substantial amount of time, sell it.

I lean toward selling personally but it's your call. :D

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
If I had a real job/income I'd have no problem giving it away, but these days every little bit counts.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
That's a good reason to ask a few for it. If it can serve to make a board appear higher in the Google rankings, it could be very valuable to the owner. So go ahead and sell it. :agree:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
If it can serve to make a board appear higher in the Google rankings,
That'a the issue... in theory it should help but I have no idea if it will in practice- and it would take weeks of research at least to see if it helps and quite frankly there isn't enough traffic in the on-topic threads here to do a good test and Qala.com has far less traffic then here.

If I could show definite results I'd be more comfortable... Maybe have to sell it at in introductory price...

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I try not to charge much for the mods... There are some vbulletin developers that would charge $50 to $100 for the mods I have AND still require them to keep a link in the footer to their site or some type of affiliated link.

My mods go for between $10 to $20 usually. I've heard from older vb developers that a few years ago a mod developer could make some good side money from donations alone- admins would actually use the "Donate to" link on mods they liked... Now it's virtually unheard of for someone to donate, and if they do it's $5... almost not even worth it to send $5 via paypal.

My prices are more liked "forced donations." Like income tax. ;)

Actually I am quite happy when I get a buyer from another country- doing my part to bring money back INTO the USA since most people only send money out of the country.:usflag:

I usually charge higher for the mods I know admins will be using to make money off of- since it's going to make them money anyway I don't feel bad. :jew: