• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

New Workstation Build v2015

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
yeah ASUS GTX 970 STRIX OC 4GB ;)
Ahh... not sure how I missed that. Either way, still curious what you intend to do with it. Not saying someone has to have a legitimate need to have something excessive, just curious.

John in MA

They see me rollin'
VIP
If my calculations are correct... you spent $3693.11 on a workstation? to do what? MS Word? :jump:

I could have bought (2+) "overpriced" high end Macs that will run circles around that thing and actually boot up.
I'm trying to figure out what's more gay. A grown man spending $700 on blue plastic tubes and a motherboard that actually has "Republic of Gamers" in the name, or a someone suggesting a Mac in its place.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Apple has used liquid cooling for years.. I was just mocking his home build..
I figured they had to be with some of the tiny machines they make, but I didn't want to assume.

Biggest mistake in this build is the Seagate drives. Literally every drive failure I've had in the last 10 years has been a Seagate drive. Will never purchase from them again. We're talking at least 5 laptop drives alone, not even considering 3.5" stuff. Absolute garbage.
Their enterprise level stuff is still outstanding.

well that's not very discrete...:pirate:
:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Their enterprise level stuff is still outstanding.
Maybe so, but I'll never know because I've had so many of their drives shit the bed that I could never bring myself to buy something with that brand name again.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
Maybe so, but I'll never know because I've had so many of their drives shit the bed that I could never bring myself to buy something with that brand name again.
That's fair. I had a similar relationship with WD for a long time, just the other way around -- we had so many fail in servers and NAS that I wasn't buying SHIT with their name on it.

kthrash

I have Automotive A.D.D.
VIP
Pretty sure, every Hard Drive I have in every Server/NAS is a Seagate of some sort..

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Pretty sure, every Hard Drive I have in every Server/NAS is a Seagate of some sort..
I know for a fact that every bad drive I have on the shelf in my office and in my desk at home is a Seagate. :panic:

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
You really should consult the Geek Squad at Best Buy for technical stuff like this, ya know.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
You should just build yourself a high end server, stuff a video card in it, and call it good. If it has less than 192GB of RAM and 2 8 core Xeon processors, it's just an entry level toy.