• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Paint Stripper

Any recommendations? It looks like 1 coat of blue paint over what was once beautiful wood. I ordered Ready Strip but I'm not confident it will work very well. Can I just use paint thinner?

There was something on TV a long time ago I remember seeing you put this stuff on, waited a bit, then brushed it all off with a big spounge or scrubbing brush - anything like that actually work?

CJ5 [JU]

Archived
There some strippers that work pretty good but usually not as advertised. Thinner will not work once paint has set. Stripping is not a fun job and do not expect to apply something and wipe the old paint away.

********** said:
Any recommendations? It looks like 1 coat of blue paint over what was once beautiful wood. I ordered Ready Strip but I'm not confident it will work very well. Can I just use paint thinner?

There was something on TV a long time ago I remember seeing you put this stuff on, waited a bit, then brushed it all off with a big spounge or scrubbing brush - anything like that actually work?
After a long stripping weekend, I can fully reccommend Jasco's Paint Stripper. Be sure to get a brush on kind, its less messy than the liquid, if you get any on you, it burns like hell, so wipe it off fast with a wet cloth. Be wary of fumes, they will kick your ass as well.

********** said:
paint thinner (mineral spirits) won't do jack crap. Laquer thinner would work eventually, but you need a good stripper. I forget what we use, but we've been using ALOT of it. If you ever want to have non-retarded children, wear a true respirator.

Bobkid [JU]

Archived
goldenjeeper said:
If you ever want to have non-retarded children, wear a true respirator.
Considering who asked the question originally, is that advice really needed? :disagree:

You're just gonna give the guy false hopes. :clapping:

If non-latex ...aircraft stripper in a can from the auto parts store.

Chit bubbles in like 30seconds and is waaay less caustic...or at least it seems that way....and washes right off with water.

Stripped my mtb in about 5 minutes of work.