• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

See who viewed a thread

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Joe,

I noticed I can click on the number in the "Replies" column and see who replied to a thread before I read it. Would it be possible to do the same for the "Views" column?

:beerchug:

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
wow, thats pretty cool. I probably never noticed because I have pop-ups disabled. I'm sure many a drunken mis-click would have revelead that before.

:beerchug:

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
No, views aren't logged like that. It would be a tremendous amount of data to add to the database.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
lulz on perspectives of 'tremendous' jjj
Adding a new field to the Threads table, probably the 2nd biggest table in the database after posts, which will hold many dozens of usernames, and needs to be updated on every single page view is big to me.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
Adding a new field to the Threads table, probably the 2nd biggest table in the database after posts, which will hold many dozens of usernames, and needs to be updated on every single page view is big to me.
Then 'big' to you isn't very big at all.

I say this somewhat tongue in cheek because I know that servers, storage and DB JUOT uses are not on par with what I manage daily... But in the big-boy IT world, every single move you make is audited. In just one of my ECM/RM systems, the audit table alone is billions and billions of rows.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP

I say this somewhat tongue in cheek because I know that servers, storage and DB JUOT uses are not on par with what I manage daily... But in the big-boy IT world, every single move you make is audited. In just one of my ECM/RM systems, the audit table alone is billions and billions of rows.
Obviously terms like "big" are tied to the hardware and server resources available.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
Obviously terms like "big" are tied to the hardware and server resources available.
Terms like "big" should be tied to the amount of data in comparison to other collections of data. How someone chooses to support said data is another conversation all together. :fyi:

Big-boy IT talk ITT

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
Face it Joe, despite all of your efforts and accomplishments, you're still small potatoes.

80,000 lbs. seems like a lot to some people, to me not so much. It's all matter of perspective.

neelandan

Owner of dot net
The Ranter shows at the bottom of each thread the names of the users who have viewed that thread.

But then, it is a small forum compared to JUOT.

Justin

Damn.
VIP

Get back to us when you have TRILLIONS of rows.