• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

The best Paint/Photo editing app out there...

I know you want to drum up some juot $$, but unless you are a pro and need some specific functions, GIMP is more than enough and free/open source.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I've downloaded GIMP several times over the years (and I list it on the freeware thread in Bits & Bytes) and while it's better then MS PAINT I find it very non-intuitive and unless I couldn't afford an app like Paint Shop Pro or Photo Shop I could never see myself relying only on GIMP... it's like Open Office- a whole lot better then Word Pad and a great product for being completely and totally free- but given the choice I'd always pick office... even office XP from 7 years ago is better IMO then the latest Open Office.

Wow, what a rough comparison. GIMP is an advanced photo manipulation program, not a cheesy drawing app. More than likely it does everything you would do in PhotoShop..

If you don't like the interface, you might want to check out http://www.gimpshop.com/ Same GIMP program underneath, but with a PhotoShop like UI. I can't vouch for it as I've never tried it, I'm fine with the standard GIMP UI.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Downloaded GIMPshop... it seems to have frozen halfway through the startup on the first launch since installing.
:shrug:

Downloaded GIMPshop... it seems to have frozen halfway through the startup on the first launch since installing.
:shrug:
Meh, don't ask me, I never used it, just read that's it's great for people that are used to the PhotoShop UI. If you're doing work professionally, don't mind spending the $$ for one of the commercial apps, or your work provides it stick with PhotoShop/Paint Shop Pro.

If you want something powerful enough for most things, is free, and you're willing to spend a little time learning the UI, go with GIMP. I wouldn't say GIMP is better than PhotoShop, or even as good, just that it will do pretty much anything a home user would want. You (meaning people, not bop specifically) just need to learn how to use it. Honestly, if you already have PhotoShop there isn't any reason to switch to GIMP, but if you don't have any and are looking for a photo manipulation program, it's worth a shot.