• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

The end of Top Gear?

neevo

Limey Hippo
I think he knew he had overstepped the mark an was out a while ago, He has made a lot of money off the show so it's his own fault entirely. I only hope that they get an alternative who is equally non-PC
Alan Partridge would be excellent - you all know him as Steve Coogan

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
you do if you watch Top Gear, he's one of the fastest stars in a reasonably priced car :tiphat:
I fast forward through those unless its someone recognizable.

edit: although I think that is the guy on Gavin & Stacey which I caught on BBCAmerica. Good little show although cheaply done.

Last edited:

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
you do if you watch Top Gear, he's one of the fastest stars in a reasonably priced car :tiphat:
British "celebrities" just fall out of our memories within seconds, unless they're Kate Beckinsale or Elizabeth Hurley (or the three hosts.)

RandyMolson

Close friend of Keyton
VIP
To properly disassociate, BBC needs to photochop a brown bag over the head of Clarkson on the Top Gear web site banner and other promotional screens.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
That's a fantastic reaction - he wants to keep the team together, which any network on Earth would be glad to facilitate.

The problem (if they move to the US) would be Hammond. He clearly wants to be an American given his habits and comments, but he wears several hats over there. They'd have to pay him a lot to get him to dump each endeavor in favor of a single program. I REALLY hope it can be had, though. Same team with a fresh location and budget - sounds fantastic to me.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
But one reason the show works is because the BBC is not funded by advertisers, and they can say whatever they want about a car. Could they really come here and say a certain car is a piece of shit and not have the automaker threaten to pull all their ads from the network? Not to mention the jabs at other nationalities.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
They're not going to be able to call Mexicans shiftless and lazy on a Disney network.

But on the other hand, countless churches boycott Disney due to their "Gay Days" at the parks, and Disney just keeps making tons of money.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
They're not going to be able to call Mexicans shiftless and lazy on a Disney network.

But on the other hand, countless churches boycott Disney due to their "Gay Days" at the parks, and Disney just keeps making tons of money.
Other than forcing ESPN to hire a few token female anchors and announcers, disney has been hands off on espn as it is a cash cow for them.