• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

What book are you reading?

Ralph

VIP
I just ordered a few things to carry me through the winter.

The Ashley Book of Knots
The Marlinspike Sailor

Cornholio01

going to pick up Michael Lewis' "Flash Boys" when I see a good price.

discusses the recent developments in stock traders holdin positions for nanoseconds, and beating others' orders w/ better tech.

Cornholio01

finished Flash Boys, I'd put it up there w/ Moneyball & Liars Poker as some of Lewis' best stuff.

skimmed fifty shades, silly not to if you're gonna chase ass & 90% read that crap.

Canadian_gal

Im reading the Lincoln myth by steve berry. It involves mormons, the us constitution, Lincoln. Kind of has a national treasure kind of feel to it so far. I love it!!

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
finished Flash Boys, I'd put it up there w/ Moneyball & Liars Poker as some of Lewis' best stuff.

skimmed fifty shades, silly not to if you're gonna chase ass & 90% read that crap.
I was just giving my wife shit about reading 50 shades of gray.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Now that I've finished the Dark Tower series what's a good series to get into? Needs to be on Amazon Kindle, grown attached to my book reader.

Thoughts?

MeinXJ

Father Divine Loves You
The last few that I've enjoyed, even though they're not new releases:
God's Middle Finger - several years old, but I think still relevant as to the how and why (at least some of) Mexico/Mexican culture is such a disaster and tragedy.

Under The Banner of Heaven - Angering truth-denying Mormons since 2004.

The Road - I read this a number of years ago (haven't seen the movie version), but is so well written that it will stick with you for years.

If you're a reader who can manage to not be offended by thinly veiled Christian theology and values, the Chronicles of Narnia series really is a fun read for adults. Similarly, C.S. Lewis also wrote what's known as the "Space Trilogy" which again, culminates in a pretty obvious Christian sci-fi analogy, but is still entertaining reading -

Lewis believed what he believed, but he was a smart guy who could write well and was good friends with Tolkein, so no surprise that his fiction is engrossing.

neevo

Limey Hippo
On the Steel Breeze by Alaistair Reynolds
Part of a 3 part series (book 2) called Poseidons Children
A sifi epic set in the near future

He is one of the better scifi writers out there

RandyMolson

Close friend of Keyton
VIP
Currently reading:

Miles Beyond - The Electric Explorations of Miles Davis 1967-1991, Paul Tingen.
Analysis of the 1970s Davis jazz eras on other music forms. Forcing me to buy a bunch of new CDs. One of the best jazz books I have ever read.

A Few Recent Reads:

While Europe Slept - How Radical Islam is Destroying the West from Within, Bruce Bawer

Who Got Einstein's Office?, Ed Regis.
The founding, staffing, interactions and technical activities at the Institute for Advanced Study.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Read The Martian after I saw the trailer for the movie. Pretty good. Also read How Music Got Free: The End of an Industry, the Turn of the Century, and the Patient Zero of Piracy.

Going through some of the new Star Wars stuff now, and have Look Who's Back up next.

Mark

Ay Caramba!
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Decided on some lighthearted reading, The Art of Racing in the Rain By: Garth Stein. Put it on my wish list when it was talked about here.