• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Estimate on extending the front porch?

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
I will come drop our swing set off for you if you really need an addition to the jungle gym you have out there now.

Ardvark

Would be too steep. The ramp as is which travels the entire available length, turns, and travels full width is already steep but usable. Couldn't be any steeper and be safe.
I didn't mean straight out. It would turn as needed and be the right slope

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
The 3 best places are all inside or near to NYC.

None of them will take me though. We've tried. Thet only take cases with media attention or a good chance for a "quick" (1 year or so) recovery.
I personally would put moving on the table. Either (a) to move to benefit from the best treatment facility that will take you on as a patient, or (b) to move where you can get the most life benefit given an incurable condition.

That doesn't necessarily mean moving out of the NYC area.

The way I see it, your reasoning for living in Queens (or wherever you live) is based on benefits that you can't enjoy while still suffering the negatives. You don't have to commute into the city. You can't get into the good treatment centers there. You don't enjoy the nightlife. You have an extremely high cost of living, restrictions on your movement/mobility, and a house that doesn't suit someone with your medical condition. Aside from liking being a "New Yorker", is there any benefit that you currently enjoy for living where you do?

I'm sure this is not possible as you have never mentioned it, but is there another door to the outside that could be used? Maybe something on the side of the house or around back? I would think a back door to a wood deck that has a nice long ramp to the front would solve all the issues, including letting you build something much larger to sit outside as well as making the slope less.

Before you say it, properly built wood deck would be plenty strong. Think bridges, decks with hot tubs that hold up fine for years or decades. The floor you are probably on right now is little more than a glorified deck.

This doesn't change my opinion that you should at least consider and look into relocation, but I accept that in your situation how daunting and scary that could be.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
The way I see it, your reasoning for living in Queens (or wherever you live) is based on benefits that you can't enjoy while still suffering the negatives. You don't have to commute into the city. You can't get into the good treatment centers there. You don't enjoy the nightlife. You have an extremely high cost of living, restrictions on your movement/mobility, and a house that doesn't suit someone with your medical condition. Aside from liking being a "New Yorker", is there any benefit that you currently enjoy for living where you do?
Family lives here. Only other place with close family would be the coast of Florida- prime spot to be wiped out in a Hurricane. I can't imagine what hell having to evacuate would be in this condition.

I'm sure this is not possible as you have never mentioned it, but is there another door to the outside that could be used? Maybe something on the side of the house or around back? I would think a back door to a wood deck that has a nice long ramp to the front would solve all the issues, including letting you build something much larger to sit outside as well as making the slope less.
There is a side door but it is down a couple steps, not accessible by wheelchair.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
you RARELY really evacuate in a hurricane.

Spoken from someone who HAS been through them firsthand.

Reactions: SAD

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Again. Are you deriving a greater value from proximity to them than proximity to treatment and/or a better and more suitable living arrangement for yourself?

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
you RARELY really evacuate in a hurricane.

Spoken from someone who HAS been through them firsthand.
Yes, but this is exactly where you would have to if any cat 2 or higher was even threatening to hit.

Again. Are you deriving a greater value from proximity to them than proximity to treatment and/or a better and more suitable living arrangement for yourself?
Am I deriving benefit from being near family? Yes.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Greater benefit? Also, consider that some of your family may very well move with you if you moved.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Greater benefit? Also, consider that some of your family may very well move with you if you moved.
Ummm, no. My 90 year old Grandmother isn't going to move out of the home she's lived in for 50 years and neither of her kids are going to move away a great distance from their 90 year old mother that they've lived within minutes of their whole lives.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
So no greater benefit and they won't move? Yeah, I'd still move. They can come visit and if treatment brings you back, you can always come back better than before.