• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Estimate on extending the front porch?

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Wonder what distance a box truck rear gate lift can go? Put one of those on the side of the porch after extending it and sell that jungle gym

GreenGeep

Timber Baron
VIP
Just park a box truck in front of the house, remove the shell, and use that as a porch. No construction permits needed. Lift gate added bonus. jjj

John

Transplant
VIP
I'm not sure NYC has any required "Front setback" there are a number of homes where the front door is just a few inches back from the public sidewalk.
There is always a setback. Set back could be the sidewalk boundary

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Put in a wider front door.

Move to a cheaper area where you can buy a house that actually fits your needs.
Wider front door is an option but I suspect it would be more expensive to remove the existing door, break through the brickwork, wood, and reroute electrical outlets/switches, and put in a wider door than creating this extended porch.

Wider front door is an option but I suspect it would be more expensive to remove the existing door, break through the brickwork, wood, and reroute electrical outlets/switches, and put in a wider door than creating this extended porch.
Check into it, I'd bet it's FAR cheaper than extending the porch, especially if you want to stick with brick. I'm guessing something like $2k for what you are after, including labor.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
:rotflmao:

That will cost much less. Just get it done.

RandyMolson

Close friend of Keyton
VIP
Consider raising the elevation of your existing porch to match the door threshold, without extending the porch. Cheapest option would be pressure treated lumber, and it will hold your load if joisted properly. Masonry would look MUCH better but ask the mason to make it easily removable. I imagine whatever you put in will have to be ripped out after you move in order to sell the house to bipedal humans.

There are a few negatives though. It will look odd from the street being 4-5" higher. The front stairs would need to be handrailed off at the top. You would have to mount an exterior mailbox at the top of the stairs. If you get a lot of weather in the front, you could have water entering your house and rotting wood. You may not be able to get a permit for raising the porch (for that very reason). If you do raise or add a deck to the porch, ask the builders to flash it so the front of your house does not get ruined.

RandyMolson

Close friend of Keyton
VIP
This is NYC. Joe couldn't allow Hub to do it, much less a service organization because "it takes jobs away from union workers". As a result, the localized cost would be about $35k, done cheaply with wood, plywood, and linoleum.
Plywood and linoleum. Classic. :clapping::clapping::clapping:
:jump:

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Plywood and linoleum. Classic. :clapping::clapping::clapping:
:jump:
Lotta truth in this thread. I'm in the group that advocates for Joe to find somewhere else that is much cheaper, nicer, and convenient for him to live. If I were in his condition, I would find the absolute best care/rehab facility in the world for his type of problem, and relocate to that area for treatment. I'd also be moving into a house or facility that would suit the condition. Wheelchair access. Pool for PT, etc.

If I were resigned to not seeking ongoing treatment/PT and just wanted to live well, within my means, I'd still move. Pick an area with good health care, mild climate, and great internet & tech jobs. Buy a house or live in a facility that could handle the wheelchair needs and have either good public transport that can handle powered chairs, or arrange for my own.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I would find the absolute best care/rehab facility in the world for his type of problem, and relocate to that area for treatment.
The 3 best places are all inside or near to NYC.

None of them will take me though. We've tried. Thet only take cases with media attention or a good chance for a "quick" (1 year or so) recovery.

Ardvark

I used to have a connection to team effort. Google them they are an amazing group. They would come in buy materials and build it for you. The down side is they don't have time for permits and plans. Which isn't a big deal when they come to my area but i suspect would be an issue with you.
I'll help out however I can with phone calls to them. They are literally begging for things to when they get here. They bring over 1000 people to the Blue Knob area for service projects. To do that project right youre looking at $8 to 10k. I just built a no frills 20 by 28 treated lumber and had 3500 just in material

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I'd widen door remove all handrail build a wooden porch and ramp from there to sidewalk
Would be too steep. The ramp as is which travels the entire available length, turns, and travels full width is already steep but usable. Couldn't be any steeper and be safe.