• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Estimate on extending the front porch?

John

Transplant
VIP
8-10'? Wow, that's aggressive. It would look like shit too but that ship sailed a long time ago so it's a moo point.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I would have serious concerns over making it out of wood , between my and my power chair it's almost 700 lbs in any given small area.
If you can build a bridge out of wood capable of supporting a train, you can build a deck out of wood capable of supporting a half-ton in a few square feet.

Wood is possible, maybe the only way to make it affordable. It won't look like it belongs however. A few grand as a guess, but others here know more than I. :agree:

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
The ramp is already on the property border, it can't be moved over any, in fact it really can't be moved at all. It takes the longest path around and every inch is needed to keep the slope practical.

Not looking to get rid of the ramp.

I would have serious concerns over making it out of wood , between my and my power chair it's almost 700 lbs in any given small area.
Pretty sure ADA or some agency determines the slope/rise of the ramp.

Neighbors across the street built their ramp out of treated lumber, no power chair though. Their porch is lower and closer to the sidewalk than yours.

Chite5e

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Wood would easily support you. I was serious with my estimate.

I suggest reaching out to Boy Scout troop and seeing if anyone is interested in making it an Eagle Scout project.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Pretty sure ADA or some agency determines the slope/rise of the ramp.
They would if this was a government project. On private property you can do whatever you want- the existing ramp is steeper than ADA requirements because there just isn't room to make it longer.

I suggest reaching out to Boy Scout troop and seeing if anyone is interested in making it an Eagle Scout project.
Thanks but no- I want professionals building this. Not putting my safety at risk with people not used to building to the strength I need.

Wharf Rat

Ooomph Ooomph
VIP
I've said it before and I will say it again.

If one of my neighbors put a ramp like that in their front yard, I would burn their ****ing house down.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Thanks but no- I want professionals building this. Not putting my safety at risk with people not used to building to the strength I need.
They'd be supervised. You don't think there's a Boy Scout that has a contractor father, or that they could find someone? A gig like that is good PR.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
Joe, I wish you would take a long look at getting out of Queens. Don't automatically state there is no way to do it, show us what you've tried and how it's failed. Your house doesn't meet your needs and you're stuck inside as a result. You've essentially decided to be a prisoner whose only real outside contact is the Internet.

Ralph

VIP
It's almost guaranteed that you'd be in the required front setback, and the owner's physical disability is not likely a valid reason for a variance for something like that. It certainly is not in Michigan. In very, *very* specific circumstances, we can go no more 6' into the front setback with an uncovered deck. I'm amazed they've let you keep the ramp in your front yard.

frank_c

lost in the jet stream
VIP
Joe, I wish you would take a long look at getting out of Queens. Don't automatically state there is no way to do it, show us what you've tried and how it's failed. Your house doesn't meet your needs and you're stuck inside as a result. You've essentially decided to be a prisoner whose only real outside contact is the Internet.
Gotta agree. Living in the "city that never sleeps" or one that "has everything!!!" means jack shit if one never ventures out of the house.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
It's almost guaranteed that you'd be in the required front setback, and the owner's physical disability is not likely a valid reason for a variance for something like that. It certainly is not in Michigan. In very, *very* specific circumstances, we can go no more 6' into the front setback with an uncovered deck. I'm amazed they've let you keep the ramp in your front yard.
I'm not sure NYC has any required "Front setback" there are a number of homes where the front door is just a few inches back from the public sidewalk.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Gotta agree. Living in the "city that never sleeps" or one that "has everything!!!" means jack shit if one never ventures out of the house.
You forgot shifty socialized health care.