• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Floor Plan

Gotcha. Yeah, I dunno either. Looking forward to talking with the architect after Christmas.
Funny, last Christmas my sister went through this. She met with several builders, showed them plans she found online. The most reputable one ballparked it and came in right at her budget. She spent $1000 on plans, paid septic guy to do the testing, got a final bid from builder, and it was ridiculous...something like 50% over what he had ballparked it at. I don't remember exactly, but her budget was $250k, and he told her he could hit that, and the final bid came in at something like $360k-$375k, i don't remember exactly.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Funny, last Christmas my sister went through this. She met with several builders, showed them plans she found online. The most reputable one ballparked it and came in right at her budget. She spent $1000 on plans, paid septic guy to do the testing, got a final bid from builder, and it was ridiculous...something like 50% over what he had ballparked it at. I don't remember exactly, but her budget was $250k, and he told her he could hit that, and the final bid came in at something like $360k-$375k, i don't remember exactly.
I hear that's pretty common actually.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Yeah, cause builders are idiots and assholes.
Yeah, that's one of the things I'm really liking about the guy I'm working with. It's more of a partnership back and forth type of relationship. He throws out suggestions on how to do things within my budget and we bounce things back and forth.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Go 12' wall heights nominal at that area and drive the eave height up. It will not cost that much. His SWAG seems high.

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
After you get your plans drawn, how many copies are you having done?

Are you planning on getting bids from any other builder than the one you're currently talking to?

SAD

Wants $4.50 Gas
VIP
As many as I need.
It has been several years, so my memory might fail me... But I think I got 7 full sets of plans??? This was so I could have at least 4 builders bid on the plans.... And for the winning builder to have at least 4 sets of plans (if other bidders did not return them in good condition).

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
even if you're happy with the guy you're currently working with, i would personally want several opinions.
I don't like wasting the time of other builders knowing I'm not going to use them.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I know I should and probably will, but I don't like it.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You're going to be spending upwards of $330K -$350K... It's a big purchase... You should not feel bad for being as informed as possible.
I'd be frustrated if someone came to me an asked me to spec out and bid on a software development project that they knew they weren't giving to me ahead of time.

I sincerely doubt the others will come in lower, but I am probably still going to get bids.

John

Transplant
VIP
this has got to be a troll
I'm starting to lean that way too. This is looking like the finished product is going to turn out to be a $300k unsellable carnival house.

He says that he's consulting with an expert. He's either not listening or dude is on drugs.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
I'm starting to lean that way too. This is looking like the finished product is going to turn out to be a $300k unsellable carnival house.

He says that he's consulting with an expert. He's either not listening or dude is on drugs.
My builder is actually offering constructive criticism and substantiates the basis behind his opinions. He's been building for 40 years. The architect that I'm going to work with is very well regarded and the designer/developer of a number of major projects around the City. The architect knows the builder and speaks highly of him.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Revision 14.

Moved the shower to take up wasted space. Gave that space to the laundry room so that it can be used as a mud room and still have room for washer & dryer and a utility sink. Lined up master bed door with laundry doors for ease of moving stuff in/out of the master.... bed, furniture, couch, etc. Also thinking about a shed dormer along the back of the master bath.

Last edited:

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP

Showed it to a friend. He commented on the size of the "master complex", called me an "opulent bastard", and asked if I was trying to get on "Cribs". :jump::rofl: