• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Gas Tank Skid (TJ)

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Dealer has the skid for ~$150. Ordered it with them since they can get it to me tomorrow. Ordered the straps on Amazon since they can also deliver tomorrow. Going to chase down a fuel pump at a local store.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
BTW, that didn't last 18 years. That lasted about 4-5 from the looks of it then got drove into the ground for the next 13ish years before it finally turned to dust.
I was behind an XJ at the dump one day that had both tank straps dragging the ground and the tank itself not far from it on one end. The filler neck had to be the only thing up. I mentioned it to the driver and he said "I just use it to take the trash, so I don't care as long as it runs."

miwico

Stalker of Brock
VIP
I was behind an XJ at the dump one day that had both tank straps dragging the ground and the tank itself not far from it on one end. The filler neck had to be the only thing up. I mentioned it to the driver and he said "I just use it to take the trash, so I don't care as long as it runs."
Darwin will prevail.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Junk the jeep instead
I'm just trying to get by until 300k. Kind of like a personal goal. Once I have a shop and a truck, the Jeep will probably end up off the road for an extended period while I do some body work and rebuild the original engine. Might do a complete teardown, pulling off the tub and cleaning up the frame while checking it for rust damage.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Swap all of that jeep drive train out.
I'll give that some serious thought at that point. On one hand, I'd love to drop a V8 or desul in there, but on the other hand, I like the simplicity and cost effectiveness of factory-ish drivetrain. I did swap in a NV3550 at one point and have had an 8.8 in for a decade or more.

I'm not exactly a great fabricator, so any engine swaps would be tough unless I could get mounts that basically just bolt up.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
I'm just trying to get by until 300k. Kind of like a personal goal. Once I have a shop and a truck, the Jeep will probably end up off the road for an extended period while I do some body work and rebuild the original engine. Might do a complete teardown, pulling off the tub and cleaning up the frame while checking it for rust damage.
Why not just replace it at that point?

off a cough

Say my name, bitch!
VIP
To me it's a matter of going through the labor of replacing a skid.... to put the same damned skid in there.

The Kilby is an extra inch of clearance on top of everything else. Even if you don't offroad, you can show off your 8.8 to the Toyota behind you.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
Get rid of that POS. It will be worthless at 300k. Anything you put into it is a complete loss. Dump and move on.