• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Gas Tank Skid (TJ)

John

Transplant
VIP
Rust :rotflmao: I'll never figure out why you people chose to live in the rust belt. :owned:
VA damn sure isn't the rust belt. Not sure why that happened. I did have a friend in Chesapeake whose TJ got really rusty but that was because the previous owner drove it in the ocean a lot at the OBX.

themonk

ex-monk.
VIP
He doesnt like more power with better fuel economy and mileage? It would be easier than rebuilding his stock crap.
What doesn't make sense is his doing anything to it.

5.3 > the old 4.0 by a massive margin, won't get argument from me.

But why not buy something that has greater utility to him like a used truck? For one it won't be a POS Jeep.

Your Silverado isn't bad, correct? Wouldn't you steer somebody in that direction than placing $$$$$ into a broke dick TJ?

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium

5.3 > the old 4.0 by a massive margin, won't get argument from me.

But why not buy something that has greater utility to him like a used truck? For one it won't be a POS Jeep.

Your Silverado isn't bad, correct? Wouldn't you steer somebody in that direction than placing $$$$$ into a broke dick TJ?
Probably for the same reason I **** with my $3k 1989 YJ. A 22 year attachment and the ability to easily build a vehicle I want. Jeeps are fun toys, not dds. The best part of the silveradobis thw drivetrain. I drive my Silverado on weekends now and drive a volvo s80 for work travel.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP

Wouldn't you steer somebody in that direction than placing $$$$$ into a broke dick TJ?
What part of beating a vehicle into the ground and replacing virtually everything to get to the 300k mile mark makes sense? The best bet if I didn't give a shit about it would probably have been to cash-4-clunkers it a while back.

It's my Jeep, I've owned it since it had 30k on the odometer, and I've maintained it basically myself. That's actually not going to be the case this time since I don't have a garage and it's been pouring rain all weekend. I'm going to have it towed to a local BMW/Merc shop that a friend works at and have him replace the skid, straps, and fuel pump for me next week. It'll cost me a few hundy and should get some laughs from the mechanics working on high end cars and the owner with the Ferrari sitting in the showroom, but my friend is a Jeep guy and someone I trust since I can't reasonably do it myself.

My "goal" with the TJ is actually to hit 300k, then basically restore it to "new" with a zero mile engine rebuild, transmission rebuild, fresh coat of paint, new fenders, new door, and fixes to anything I find along the way. Is it worth it in terms of resale value? Absolutely not. Is it something that I'd like to do? Yup.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
You're supposed to do stupid shit like that in your twenties. It's a TJ for Christ sake. Zero desirability.

Jays89YJ

Udaho
VIP
When are you redoing your v8 swap?
Valid question and point... Mechanic down the street has seven junk 5.3s that could be cannibalized into a couple good ones. Definitely contemplating this and pulling that GMPP POS out, then selling both. I think the $1,500 I got for my farm truck would more than cover me to just pay the mechanic to do it all and I won't have to **** with it.

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Valid question and point... Mechanic down the street has seven junk 5.3s that could be cannibalized into a couple good ones. Definitely contemplating this and pulling that GMPP POS out, then selling both. I think the $1,500 I got for my farm truck would more than cover me to just pay the mechanic to do it all and I won't have to **** with it.
selling the jeep or just the GMPP pos?

You'll need adapter plates for $40 and $400 to have the harness cut down and computer reprogrammed. should be stupid easy

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
Do you never drive it? I dont wheel anymore but I enjoy driving mine on the weekends and would rather drop $5k into it for a mild lift and tires and new drivetrain than go buy a newer one considering i've owned this one since 1994

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You're supposed to do stupid shit like that in your twenties. It's a TJ for Christ sake. Zero desirability.
I enjoy the TJ. Would prefer to have it garaged and keep the top off to drive on nice days, only putting the top on for the winter/snow months. I couldn't afford to take the TJ off the road and have a shop to work on it in, in my 20's. Wouldn't make sense then anyway as it was sub 150k at the time.

whiskey tango

warmonger
VIP
I don't plan on ever getting rid of the unlimited. When it's driven into the ground it will receive a new drivetrain and whatever other repairs it needs. I have a soft spot for jeeps and as long as it's repairable it will be kept.

BrandonM7

MaMway Platinum Member
Staff member
VIP
Ultra-Premium
I don't plan on ever getting rid of the unlimited. When it's driven into the ground it will receive a new drivetrain and whatever other repairs it needs. I have a soft spot for jeeps and as long as it's repairable it will be kept.
Pissing money away. Let someone else do that. Throw yours away to someone that pays too much for a stock vehicle and buy another dipshit's project that they've poured bucks into but can't finish.