• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Jeep Brakes

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
What Say JUOT? Should I go with direct OEM replacement pads and rotors for $204 or upgrade to Centric rotors and Black Magic pads for $380? Is the upgrade worth it for a Jeep I drive on the weekends and off-road? :puzzled:

Sean Mallory

Legend in my own mind
Better braking is always welcome. I would not do OEM ever again, but I am basing that on my lame ZJ brakes. Both axles for $380? Maybe you can do better at Rockauto.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
Both axles for $380? Maybe you can do better at Rockauto.
I can do a little better on PowerStop drilled and slotted with PowerStop pads for $326, but all the forums (fori?) say that centric and Black Magic are the way to go. Don't think drilled and slotted would be a good choice for mud - rocks yes, mud no.

Just had all the brakes done on the TJ a few months back.

We did Semi Metallic in the front and Ceramic in the rear.

****! seems the TJ has had a lot of work lately. :wtf:

Bob, can you please stop asking these tech questions?

lol

Sean Mallory

Legend in my own mind
I did the Powerstop Evolution kit for $165 shipped I believe. The rotors are standard. Only the front is done and the braking is noticeably improved over stock.
More Information for POWER STOP KOE2121

I had Stillen drilled and slotted rotors on another ZJ, and they would catch a small stone every now and then. Somehow the stone worked it way out tho. But I'll pass from hereon, even tho those Stillens went 10 years.

I would do the what the forum gurus say if you got the loot.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
OEM with the cheapest pads you can get. Brakes are a throwaway wear item. Drilled & slotted = waste of money for highway use. The only brake "upgrade" worth the money is drum to disc conversion.

Hahahaha! Trying to get the Jeep ready for the Catskills in September and maybe Rausch Creek in October. Plus I need to pass inspection in September and it won't pass with a bad cat.
:jump::jump::jump:

We are going on a run this weekend w/about 20 other Jeeps and you are sort of freaking me out. :wtf:
OEM with the cheapest pads you can get. Brakes are a throwaway wear item. Drilled & slotted = waste of money for highway use. The only brake "upgrade" worth the money is drum to disc conversion.
The LJ has that under control. ;)

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
For $250 I can replace pads, rotors, calipers, and brake lines on my TJ (all four corners).

Brock

VIP
Ultra-Premium
I now upgrade the rotors and use stock pads now. I used the powerstop rotors on the land cruiser and they worked very well for a vehicle that was over 6k lbs, but the powerstop pads were junk. Slee Offroad sells those rotors but will only sell the OEM toyota pads. On this 2500, I just bought all AC Delco rotors and pads because they are the best IMO for big GM trucks, but I'm buying powerstop rotors for the wranglers.

I got the rotors off ebay

Front Rear 4 Performance Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors and 8 Ceramic Pads M410550 | eBay

Last edited:

Glenn

Desert Dweller
VIP
I did the Adaptive One pads and Reactive One rotors on my XJ car. I am quite happy with them. The acceleration is much improved, corners like it is on rails. Amazing what performance rotors will do to a Jeep.
http://www.theartofbraking.com/

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
For $250 I can replace pads, rotors, calipers, and brake lines on my TJ (all four corners).
Please submit links for all these items found so cheaply. I have extended braided brake lines because of my lift, but I'm curious how you can get other items so low. :puzzled:

John

Transplant
VIP
I need to put new pads on mine and the rotors are warped. Should I bother trying to have them resurfaced or just replace? If I replace, I want OEM style but not chinese junk that doesn't last. Recommendations?

John

Transplant
VIP
I have never replaced a brake caliper in my life. I've freed up a few seized ones, but never replaced. :jew: :jew: :jew: