• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Jeep Brakes

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
You're right, it's not a race car. But if you are actually wheeling it, you need quality brakes. When you are on declines for hours on end you do not want discounted parts when your life depends on it.
I admit that I don't do much in the way of wheeling these days, but I can say that I've never experienced brake fade on declines except when the brakes got wet. Then again, I'm on the east coast, so it's not really possible to spend hours on end on a decline.

John

Transplant
VIP
Don't go to Moab and do Moab Rim
Don't do Red Cone (in CO) either. You would die on that trail if you had brake failure. I only did that trail in my JK and it was still scary, the Xterra isn't geared low enough.

John

Transplant
VIP
First gear, four-low FTW
That's what I did but I had a 73:1 crawl ratio. Even with hearing like that, you still need brakes. It's crazy steep. I would never do it again without that type of gearing. It would have a reputation like Black Bear of that many people ran it. It doesn't have switchbacks like that , but it's steeper.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=9