• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

New Cat Needed

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
Just out of curiosity what was their reasoning behind you needing a new oil pan?
It's dented at the drain plug from a rock I hit years ago before I added the oil pan skid plate. It also leaks slightly from the drain plug. I figure I can easily accomplish an oil pan replacement for far less than $450.

John

Transplant
VIP
Yeah, it wouldn't be a hard job, just maybe a little messy. If you had a large drain pan and let it sit for a while, it shouldn't be too bad.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
Might as well replace the rear main seal if you drop the oil pan.

Reactions: jif

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
Seriously? Isn't the oil pan just held on by a few bolts? Let it drain, clean gasket area, new gasket, torque to spec? The guy at the shop said to wait until I'm replacing the clutch to do the main seal.

Schnervel

O'Doyle Rules
VIP
I just read a write up of dropping the pan and you have to remove the exhaust system - that's why he wanted to do it when he had the thing off already.

John

Transplant
VIP
It looks like you only have to remove the down pipe. Now is the time to replace the oil pan. It will come off easily since he just had it off.

Taz

SORRY N SHIT!
VIP
I'm sure that sounds lovely. A buddy's 5.9 Ram was exhausted that way and it sounded like a broken down piece of shit.
do you think i care wtf it sounds like? it enrages the prius driving libs...that's all i care about, could really...REALLY care less about noise pollution, and emissions that is spews in to this pristine, clean, northern minneshithole air :clapping: :usflag: :rotflmao:

kthrash

I have Automotive A.D.D.
VIP
doesnt the factory exhaust/catalytic converters carrry a 100K mile warranty?? :puzzled:

[edit] Nevermind, 8 year 80K .. I guess an 05 is past 8 years.

Last edited:

slideways

Brother and I just replaced the Pre-cats on his 00 TJ a month or so ago. $1100 they hit you hard. It took us about 2hrs and i think the whole downpipe/header setup was like $300 from Rockauto.