• Important! If you attempt to register and do not get an email within 5 minutes please check your spam box. This is especially true for Microsoft owned domains like Hotmail, Outlook, and Live. If these do not work please consider Gmail. Yahoo, or even AOL email which works fine.

Thinking of upgrading cell phone, currently using Galaxy S3 on Virgin Mobile.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I don't want to spend $600+ for a Galaxy S7 that might burn down the house and I don't an an Apple, but I don't see anything better than the Galaxy S3 I can buy new. A Galaxy S5 I can only get used on eBay, no new ones on sale on Amazon.

Well so much for that.

BirdOPrey5

Staff member
Administrator
VIP
No Virgin Mobile version on Amazon. Must be specific to Virgin, you can't activate non Virgin Mobile phones on Virgin. :(

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
I'm currently using an S3 and the only reason I can possibly see for upgrading is for battery life.

abqtj

I'm a damn delight!
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
I don't want to spend $600+ for a Galaxy S7 that might burn down the house and I don't an an Apple, but I don't see anything better than the Galaxy S3 I can buy new. A Galaxy S5 I can only get used on eBay, no new ones on sale on Amazon.

Well so much for that.

The S7 is fine, it's the Note one you have to worry about

mojokat

coma toast
VIP
or just get an S4 or 6 and **** it.

I know my s3 won't catch fire, otherwise I wouldn't be making this post.

wct097

NPD Club President 2021-2022
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Google Nexus 6. I think you can get them second hand for a fair price and they're not too outdated yet. Hardware buttons were depreciated in the OS years ago. If you want to use modern software and features, you need a modern phone.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
Pixel- $649 and no SD card slot? I don't think so.
Realistically, how much expandable storage do you need on your phone? I objected to losing the SD slot too, but I travel from time to time and take a ton of pics/video. Hasn't caused me any issue and the built in cloud sync/backup makes that almost a moot point anyway.

wct097

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP
F*** the cloud. For that money I'd get a Galaxy S7 and a fire extinguisher.
You're limiting yourself to old and lower end phones if you get hung up on the SD card. I like my Nexus 6 which I got because I figured if I was going to get a massive phone without a removable battery and SD card slot (S6), that I might as well get a better performer with a bigger battery.